Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Paint can make a big difference

Started by on30gn15, September 26, 2009, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Took basic, rather toy-like PRR 4-6-0 from Pennsylvanian passenger set,
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1355
applied some spray paint and wound up with much better looking model 8-)

Here's starting point:

And how she looks this afternoon:

New paint job makes her look like she's got real mass - instead of just being a plastic toy.

With my health like it is right now I just wasn't up to focusing enough for airbrushing so decided to use spray cans - hadn't used them for ages. So, let's see if any skill is left in there somewhere ;-)

Dismantled boiler and details of locomotive. Took coal load out of tender.
Masked tender tank then to look like red zinc chromate sometimes used on tender and running boards used red oxide primer.
Next it was on to locomotive.
Decided to paint boiler jacketing to look like natural metal sheet like that fabled Russia Iron, (later plain iron was used) and since it has stack like what is said to be a jacketed stack in some photos, sprayed those with black primer then Rust-oleum Metallic Grey.

After paint cured painted jacketing with Future floor acrylic gloss via soft flat brush.
Came out nicely.

Is intended to give an 1890 to 1905 look to the thing.

Before painting boiler those molded on sand pipes were carved off.
Eventually will get wire.

Added 'brass' edging to running boards with strips cut from Microscale gold decal trim sheet.

Painted black injector and piping Testors Acryl brass for injector and Tamiya copper for piping.

Cylinders, air tanks, and pilot were black so they got the green treatment with Krylon Hunter Green. Gloss was about same as factory green but Satin is not quite blue enough.

Even with what my sig line says about details I drilled cylinders for lube lines and cylinder cocks; then drilled air tanks for later piping. Those parts will be added bit by bit as it gets gotten 'round to.

Brush painted smokebox and backhead PollyScale Steam Power Black, a nice not-quite-black tone.
Painted molded on details on backhead as well with what looks like it ought to be about right based on some photos have seen.

Couldn't stand those white tires so that got scraped off since what silver-grey bottle paint I had didn't seem to want to cover that glossy white.
Have I told you how much I disliked white tires in this loco?

Eventually the pebble-finish cab roof is going to get made to look more like sheet metal.

Have drilled out back of headlight as well as numberboards in order to get a better reflector plus lighted number boards. Backup light will get same and moved to tender deck. Green headlight to replace black one came from a loco body a friend sent. Had originally used green cylinders from it but couldn't get cylinder head free from black PRR set to replace missing head on green cylinders.  Could scratchbuild cylinder head eventually - never hurts to have a spare in case of clumsy handling and breaking crosshead guides, eh.

Also knocked bell yoke free and turned it around to put rope on fireman's side.

I'm quite pleased with how she's turning out.
Satisfying to take an affordable plain-jane model and spiff it up.

later,
Forrest Scott Wood
the mad 'basher of Boonville

Now, just wait till the Virginia & Truckee and especially the Durango & Silverton locos get "The Treatment"
(I'd insert 'twisted evil' smiley here if I knew how to make it)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Alex Butner

Great job on the paint! It looks like an early Pennsy train!