News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buzzing turnout

Started by siemer, October 14, 2009, 05:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

I've got a brand-new Bachmann remote turnout that buzzes nicely when you throw the switch but does not switch the track.  The power/switch/connection stuff is fine because it works with other turnouts.  So is this something I can fix or another brand-new Bachmann product that has to go back for service or replacement?  Thanks.

djp

If it is the regular turnout that is not the #4,5,6 then you will have to open up the underside and see if something is jammed. I have 12 of these turnouts and they give me trouble sometimes. The spring pops out, the flexable wire that shifts the turnout sometimes gets jammed and so on. There are three tiny screws that have to be opened to access the mechanism. These turnouts are a tad bit frustrating but i am sure you can get it working again.
Get Off My Train !!!

artasher

Buzzing turnouts are caused many times by not enough AC power coming from the accessory terminals when there is too many things connected to it.  This is usually corrected by using a CD power supply and push button or (on)-off-(on) toggle switches.

BUT, the regular turnouts (44561 & 44562) have the "Type A" control while all the rest have a "Type B." 

The A is basically a spdt slide with a monetary push-button and therefore will buzz and not throw if there is not enough AC AND one needs to be careful as to how long the button is held so as to not burn out the solenoid. 

The B looks to be a small CD circuit with additional circuitry to provide a proper, higher voltage, DC pulse with a dpdt slide switch without concern for the length of time the switch is held in position.

Why there are not the "Type B" switches in all, I don't know.

Joe323

You made need a capacitive discharge unit. which is a simple device that you can build or buy (Miniatronics and Circuitron sell them) Its a fairly simple circuit that uses a capacitor to build up a momentary charge that throws the switch.  The CDU has two advantages

1)It provides the extra push needed to throw stubborn turnout.
2)After a fraction of a second it shuts down protecting the coils from burnout.   

You generally only need one CDU per layout which is wired between the power supply and the panel where your switch controls are.  I have been told the CDU can throw up to 11 turnout simultaneously but have never tested that out.

artasher

As I said, the Bachmann "Type B" directional turnout switches have a small CD (capacitive discharge) unit inside them (2, 47µfd caps) which help with the switch operation.  With just the CD circuitry, without the pulse circuitry, you still need to use momentary switches to prevent continued triggering after the caps recharge (again depending on the circuits).