News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Plymouth 0-6-0 diesel

Started by BLWDecapods, November 13, 2009, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLWDecapods

Hey Bach Mann,
Just wondering if in this diesel, there might be enough room to move the wheels in and convert it from HO guage to HOn3 ?
Looking for an inexpensive way to get an HOn3 locomotive.
Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear BLW,
I think it would require some frame narrowing as well- how are your skills?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

Mr. Bach Man - Since this thread concerns the Plymouth WDT; I have some suggestions as well. How about getting marketing to call the 'little beastie' what it is: it is NOT a Plymouth MDT. Why not change the description to read "Plymouth WDT"? How about a better gear system for the drive (my little guy still grinds after an extensive run in and lubrication)? The only color available in the undecorated version is red...why not black? From my research, very few Plymouths were red in color. Assuming the motor is isolated from the frame (it is isn't it?); why not include the NMRA 6-pin connector for DCC? That would give us two choices DC and DCC.

As an avid supporter of Bachmann trains, I was impressed with what the company has done with the new Spectrum 0-6-0T...if I ever convert my micro layout to DCC it will be a must have. Maybe you could consider a Spectrum version of the Plymouth?

Sincerely,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ABC

Quote from: CNE Runner on November 14, 2009, 09:55:16 AMHow about a better gear system for the drive (my little guy still grinds after an extensive run in and lubrication)?
Ray, you aren't kidding when you said it is noisey, I just ran my for the first time today, and the sound of it just makes me cringe. At least my new 2-10-4 runs pretty quietly.

CNE Runner

ABC - I don't know how to put this; so I guess I'll just tell the truth: My Plymouth WDT started running erratically; and I decided to take the easy way out (when will I ever learn?). I cleaned the wheels and sprayed, what I thought were the electrical pickups, with contact cleaner/lube (that last word is important). Well...apparently I over cleaned/lubed the pickups because the Plymouth wouldn't run at all!

I removed the body from the frame (easy to do by removing two screws in the center of the lower frame - and both coupler pockets...the body pops right off). After removing the body, I could now see that the only electrical pickup is between the axles and the frame (the Plymouth has a split frame apparently). In other words: the axles must rest directly on the frame for electricity to pass. This means that anything that gets between the axles and the frame will effect the electrical path. OK, I cleaned everything well, with isopropanol, and checked the gear train (it is exposed). Remember, this is an inexpensive model so the gears leave a lot to be desired. They are un-bushed and are made of plastic. They were also quite 'wobbly'.

I put a tiny bit of Labelle #106 gear grease on each gear...be careful - just a dab will do. As I examined the frame, I noticed that the frame halves were held together with two screws. By tightening these screws the frame halves came together better and most of the gear 'wobble' was removed. Take care not to overtighten the screws.

Putting the switcher back together was essentially a no brainer as long as you remember the frame only goes on one way. If it won't snap to the body easily; turn the frame/wheels 180 degrees and it should go on with no problem.

The Plymouth now runs extremely well...or as well as an engine in that price point can be expected to run. I intend to repaint the body shell and install some engineer/brakeman figures in the cab. This is a good locomotive that has loads of potential.

Ray

jdmike

This engine is another example of Bachmann needing to just trash all the older style drives and put quality motors and worm/spur gear drives in them.  They do this with all the nice Bachmann Branchline OO gauge stuff for the Brits.   Thier little class 08 switching diesel is a sweet runner, along with the Pannier tanks and Terrier class tank steam engines.  The little Plymouth along with the 0-6-0 and 2-6-2 all need better quality drives in them. 

ABC

CNE Runner

You are entirely welcome ABC. Jdmike - I wish you hadn't told me about the superior Bachmann OO switchers; because there is little any of us can do about it (although, I wish Bachmann would listen). If I were more mechanically skilled, and had the proper tools, I could replace the gears with a brass series from Northwest...alas I am not. Wouldn't it be great if Bachmann (or Atlas, or Athearn, or...) offered a series of these neglected little industrial locomotives? I envision an updated (and correct) Plymouth MDT or WDT, a Davenport (Bachmann makes a super one for the On30 crowd), and a Whitcomb. These imagined models would have an NMRA pin installed as well as lighting front and rear. With all the interest in micro/small layouts, not to mention those chaps that model industrial/dock scenes, there should be a fairly good market for these products.

In closing, I hope you all had a good holiday. All the best with your Plymouth ABC.

Regards,
Ray