News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

electrical issolation of loops

Started by Frank W., December 15, 2009, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank W.

I wish to run two loops which are connected by crossovers (2), so I can run two trains independently.  The two crossovers are factory wired so power all tracks from one power source.  How do I change this so that I can use two power supplies and operate independently?

Nigel

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

ABC

Use insulated plastic rail joiners inbetween the crossovers.

Joe Satnik

Dear Frank W., 

Isolation instructions are at the bottom of this page on David Harrison's Acela website:

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

I am doing the same basic thing with my layout but for only one engine at a time , for dc do I need to isolate anything or will it all work as a plug n play ...I know I will need a couple of feeders but is there anything else I need to do?
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

I run dc as well.  Also, I have an inner loop and outer loop.  I use a dual power pack, with the loops electrically isolated from each other.  IIRC, the pack is called an MRC Tech280.  It is a single box with two throttles, two dc outputs and two direction switches.  I can run two trains in opposite directions and at different speeds.  This way the trains can 'meet' at different spots on the layout, while running continuously.  I find this arrangement very satisfactory.  How many track feeders you need depends on how large your layout gets. 

Another benefit is the dual power pack would cost less than buying two packs with equivalent power.

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Jonathan

full maxx

so is it possible to run a double loop connected with two crossovers on one transformer w/feeders
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

Yes, it can be done.  Just remember a single power pack, in dc, can only run two, maybe three, engines at once.  You can wire for any configuration, but you only have X number of amps per power pack.  MRC packs currently max out at about 14.5 volts (can't remember the amperage).  Today's locomotives are much more efficient than just a few years ago.  I have in fact, triple-headed a thirty car train.  But I wouldn't recommend it as a regular practice.

this is one of the reasons DCC has become so popular.  One DCC system can run several trains at once, without even breathing hard.  Of course you pay more, but many people think the advantages are well worth it.  I have yet to discover the magic of the dark side.  But I have been studying it a little, and asking an occasional question or two.

Regards,

Jonathan

full maxx

yeah we're going dcc as long as his interest in trains continue, but for right now it will be only one running at a time even tho we have a Pere Marquette to go with the spectrum set and thanks for the answer ...can't wait till the magic morning

Frank W.

Thanks Joe!  That is exactly the information I needed! 

full maxx

so is there anything that needs to be done to the crossovers or will the double loop be plug n play, also the feeders should be inside track to inside track with out altering the crossovers

Joe Satnik

Dear FM,

Isolation is for running two analog power packs independently, one for the inner oval, one for the outer oval.   

This is called "Block wiring", or "DC-Block wiring".

Atlas book #12, "The Complete Atlas Wiring Book" does a good job explaining it all. 

Highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

hey man thanks for every body's help but I guess all yall that have been into this for a long time are use to a newb like me and I'm sure there will be more questions to follow as long as he don't lose interest ...like thats gonna happen,hes been pushing around the wooden Thomas trains since he was old enough to hold 'em , so thanks again

jonathan

FM,

I believe this forum is made for people who are just starting out.  This is where I started learning some of the basics.  I get the feeling the more experienced modelers on this forum really want to help the beginners.  I'm just past the beginner stage, and I feel a desire to share what little knowledge I have.  In this way we all move forward with our skills.

That's why, no matter how many times you see the question, somebody will log in and answer a radius question.  How else will we learn if we don't ask the question.  I will always answer, if I know it (I like guessing, too ;) ). 

No such thing as a stupid question.

Regards,

Jonathan

D.Harrison

Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 16, 2009, 12:53:10 AM
Dear Frank W., 

Isolation instructions are at the bottom of this page on David Harrison's Acela website:

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Thanks Joe for the reference to my Acela page.  For a decade now, modelers who purchase the Bachmann crossovers are faced with a problem....the crossovers are designed for DCC layouts only.  On a DC layout, insulated railjoiners must be inserted in the "crossover track" to keep the two straight tracks electrically separate.  This can only be done by cutting certain rails on the Bachmann crossovers.  If one is using sectional track, like Atlas, the crossover is not one unit but two opposing switches.  Simply insert the insulating rail joiner between the two switches and viola!!! the straights are electrically separated.

Now why Bachmann designed their crossovers without thjis insulation and when, if ever they will offer DC/DCC crossovers is another story that, like I said is a over a decade old.

David Harrison
Acela Express Portable Layout

Joe Satnik