News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnouts and crossover wiring

Started by full maxx, January 02, 2010, 07:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

can I get an extension wire for switches and crossovers to run them under the table so they will be hidden or should I cut them and make them longer by personal engineering here's a pic in progress 
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Cody J

CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

full maxx

indeed it looks like 10 foot for a dollar a foot...thanks
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

Cody J

CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Joe Satnik

Dear Maxx,   

Looks pretty good, so far.  Nice start.   

Unless you want to drill a monster sized hole through your table, you have to cut the cables anyway.  Solder one end, but use automotive bullet connectors on the other end of your extension cable, which will make it easy to remove from the table.

The only miss-routing that would hurt would be swapping a center wire for an outside wire on a 3 wire cable between a slide-push controller and the turnout motor (aka "solenoid").

Be careful of that, do a good job soldering and insulating the joints, and you should be good to go. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lescar

Hi Maxx

Nice start, I'm also new to the hobby and planning on building a similar track design on a 4X8 frame.  Are the curves your using 22 and 18's, that's what I had to use with XtrkCAD so the layout would fit for the bench size. 

What I'm planning on using for extending the wiring is getting three different color rolls of wire from Radio shack and cutting the existing wires in half and solder the extensions on, making the wires any length needed and the cost is going to be allot cheaper then a dollar a foot!.   :o Joe's has a good idea with the bullet connecters.  :)  ;)

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

full maxx

I only bought 1 extension cable for the switches and wired them in two sets so both switches on each crossover throw at the same time ...they work as a pair, this is my 4yo's train set and he knows how to run it but I will be adding to it soon if uncle sam is good to me in the next few weeks lol and yes they are 18" and 22"

lescar

Thanks for the Info., and thanks to jprince46 for turning me on to XtrkCAD, it's one great program.

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

cglue

I bought 10 of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370317242344&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

on ebay the other night. I haven't received them yet.  They should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

full maxx

man u got a killer deal...I paid $10 plus tax for 1... but 1 is all I need right now

cglue

The crossovers came in yesterday.  I took the other turnouts out and added the crossovers to have twin tracks like full maxx.  All the trains I have put on the tracks work great going through the crossovers.  Thanks for all the input.

Sorry the wrong thread...

full maxx

yeah the crossovers work pretty well