News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnouts

Started by full maxx, January 13, 2010, 06:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

what is the length (inches) of the #6 left & right turnouts
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ebtbob

Can I assume you are asking about EZ Track turnouts since this is a Bachmann site?   If not, for which manufacturer are you interested in having measurements?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

full maxx

yes I'm asking about Bachmann I want to expand a little
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Joe Satnik

Dear FM,

Though you can't always trust the pictures in the product section,

(you'd be surprised at how many photo-shopped fantasies or obsolete items are shown),

I count 62 ties along the main (straight) route of the 44560 #6 right turnout.  

In general, (not always) HO EZ-Track ties are spaced 1/4" apart.   62 x 1/4" =  15-1/2"  

I would guess 15-1/2".

Hope this helps.

Does anyone out there own a #6 turnout, or have access to one and could measure its length for us?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

jward

by comparison, an atlas #6 is 12" on the straight, and 10" on the curve. wonder why the significant difference in dimensions between the atlas & bachmann? 15 1/2" sounds more like a #8 than a #6.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

full maxx

not sure but I will only get #6 turnouts and crossovers ...my biggest engine so far is a Berkshire 2-8-4 so anything smaller/tighter will cause derailing issues and my 4yo don't want hear it

Joe Satnik

A reply from a knowledgeable and helpful friend:

"Bachmann HO E-Z Track # 6 Turnout (Item No. 44560 and 44559)
Through Stock Rail is 15-1/2" long.
Divergent Frog Rail is 8" long measured from the point of the frog (not from the frog piece-rail gap).

The measurements were made on an actual track piece using a metal tape measure. So the measurements are not precise. But they are usable in track layout geometry."

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

so what is the point to frog distance? for a number 6 it should be in the vicinity of 7 or 8 inches.....

that 8 inches you quote is the rail beyond the frog?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear J,

The picture in the products section seems accurate. 

Use Ctrl+  to enlarge,

Ctrl- to shrink

Ctrl0 to reset to normal. 

The ties are 1/4 inch on center. 

Make your own ruler with a piece of paper and pencil on your screen.     

Let us know what you measure. 

jward

estimated by counting ties......

6" point to frog point, 2 1/4" point to hinge point.

these dimensions are similar to a peco medium, also nominally a number 6. the atlas 6 has a longer point to frog and thus a gentler curve through the switch. the peco 6 has a constant 36" radius......

interesting how different manufacturers can make the same number switch yet have completely different dimensions.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Nigel

Quote from: jward on January 20, 2010, 09:45:17 PM
...... switch. the Peco 6 has a constant 36" radius......

Peco does not call it a #6 because it is not.  They only use the frog number designation on their code 83 North American line of track, not their code 100 and code 75; which follows British practice of radius-ed turnouts rather than the North American practice of angled turnout.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955