News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Monks' Island Crew

Started by CNE Runner, May 16, 2010, 10:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I thought I would bring you all some pictures of my progress on the Monks' Island Railway. I have been experimenting with a solid black background as most illustrated backgrounds look cartoonish (unless you happen to be an artist). The black technique draws ones eyes to the layout and makes it the focus of the scene. What do you think?

OK, the images and storyline:

It is a 'light day' for the loading crew at the Monks' Island Brewery. With only one reefer to load, there will be plenty of time to sample the company's product. The occupied transfer table is back against the loading dock showing the other table retracted. Usually there are at least 2 cars being loaded. Each of the two warehouse doors has a detailed interior. The building is scratchbuilt.

Picture #2:

Willie & Otis (2 or our 3 brakies) don't seem too impressed with the new Trackmobile. As Willie put it; "Ain't no way that darn rollerskate is gonna keep up wit the Plymouth!" Willie & Otis are old-time hands and don't like any changes in the routine. The Trackmobile works great fetching cars off the ferry.

Picture #3:
It is just about quitting time and the crew is anxious to shut down the Plymouth for the evening. On the way home there will be ample opportunity for everyone to sample some of the product they have been 'pushing' all day.

Picture #4:
Uh oh...it looks like there is a late ferry today (just when those brews were on everyones mind). Joe (the third brakman) is calling for Willie and Otis...who are trying their best to ignore both him and the work. The crew will make short work of unloading - shut the Plymouth down (we'll refuel tomorrow) and head home.

That is all the progress I've managed to do on the Monks' Island layout to date. In the background you may have noticed a small white and red frame building that is 80% complete. The structure houses Captain A. Habb's Marine Supply. The lighting is new (thanks to a great sale at Lowe's) and is controlled via a dimmer switch - allowing me to simulate various times of the day. All track components are Peco Code 75, all structures were either scratchbuilt or (in one case) are craftsman kits. Cars are kit-built from various manufacturers. The Plymouth is from Bachmann whilst the Trackmobile is from Factory Direct Trains. The entire operation is DC - but, with appropriately equipped motive power, could be easily converted to DCC.

I hope you enjoyed,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

lescar

Vary nice job, I particularly like your transfer table's, the black back ground is different  and looks like it working well, may try it out.  Hows the trackmoble run, was thinking of getting one for the yard, but not sure how it would run on PECO Insulfrog's.

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

Guilford Guy

Spiffy!
What stands out the most to me is the weathering on the ties and rails, very well done!
Alex

CNE Runner

Les, the black background takes a little getting used to...but the more I see it - the more I like the concept. Eventually there will be black sides (stage wings) and a frame across the front (called a proscenium in the theater) that will focus the viewer's attention on the layout.

I really can't recommend the Trackmobile for Peco Insulfrog track items. The only two Insulfrog components, on the Monks' Island Ry, are the double slip and crossing. The Trackmobile hesitates, slightly, when crossing these places. This isn't a problem for DC - but would cause headaches for DCC operation. I will never use anything but Electrofrog on any future construction. The Trackmobile runs like the quality piece of machinery it is - flawlessly and quietly.

Thanks for the kudos Guilford Guy. The track is Peco Code 75 and each side of the rails are weathered with Joe's Model Trains Brown Rust - applied with a micro brush (be sure you have a full supply of patience when you undertake this task).

The ties are coated with Floquil's Weathering Colors [#F3803]. These paint pens come in a package of 3 colors: earth, mud, and grime. I randomly paint each tie (random as in the color applied)...leaving one or two ties here and there unpainted (represents new ties). After the Floquil dries I paint the entire track (rails and all) with a light gray wash. After this has dried, I apply a mixture of Dr. Ben's weathering powders.

I hope I gave you some ideas.
Ray

jonathan

Enjoyed it, Ray.  Great work!  Glad you finally completed the mechanical work and could finally go 'artistic'.  I had a feeling the decorating was your strong suit.  I like the black background idea.  It's like going to theater, where they only light what they want you to see.  Works for me.  Not brave enough to try it myself mind you... :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Ray-

Outstanding modeling, and your black background idea is terrific, especially for a vignette.  It adds drama and an intense focus which I like.  Proper lighting could really draw a viewer into the scene.  Thanks for posting your photos.

--D

ABC

I am very envious of your exquisite modeling ability. The lighting is spectacular, it  makes for a nice effect. Hopefully if/when you switch to DCC you don't lose any locos to the edge. Maybe your next project will be to protect your investment. I really like that trackmobile...you know what would really fit right in is an ole Model Die-Casting EMD Model 40 Critter...you never can have too many critters  ;D

CNE Runner

It is comments, like yours, that keeps all of us going...many thanks. Since there was interest in the black background, I would like to share with you the layout that was my inspiration. This shot (stolen from Carl Arendt's excellent website) was from Eamon Sedon's layout. Eamon hails from Tasmania, Australia.
Notice how the layout seems to 'float' on the stage. The structures, and track, are highlighted and ones attention is riveted upon them.

I also mentioned the use of a proscenium (or frame) to force the observer's focus on the layout. Carl Arendt shows a better example in his book Carl Arendt's Small Layout Scrapbook - which I think is still available (his first book sold out worldwide).
Do you notice how you are almost forced to look into the layout - without any other distractions? I should mention that this superb layout is by Fabrice Fayolle from France.

Whether or not you are interested in micro layouts, you should spend an afternoon looking through the scrapbook section of Carl Arendt's website. I think you will find a lot of material to inspire. Carl's website is: http://www.carendt.com/index.html

I will try to keep you all posted on my progress. Today's project is to put a foundation under Captain A. Habb's Marine Supply. This will be a combination of styrene strip and paper overlay.

Cheers,
Ray

BestSnowman

I love it! I especially like "Captain A. Habb's Marine Supply", I think I might have to borrow that one :)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog