Susquehanna SY Mikado on its way - Pics of the real one and HO one added!

Started by raveoned, June 16, 2010, 09:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raveoned

Just purchased one of the Spectrum Susquehanna SY Mikados off ebay, after riding the real one this past weekend (and even invited into the cab after the run to have a look around!)

I'm really looking forward to getting it, and I was wondering who else out here has one, and what do they think of it?

Here are some pics of the real one in Phillipsburg, NJ that I took when I was there with my family this past Sunday, 6/13.  It wasn't the sunniest out when I took these, so they aren't the clearest:

Pacific Northern

I bought one of these engines and am extremely happy with it.

You will immediately notice that this model has a higher level of added detail. I assume that Bachmann China models are made to a higher standard.  If you happen upon Hong Kong or Chinese vendors on e-bay selling Bachmann, check out their sites.

Bachmann China make a number of steam engines. The quality of finish on the engines is excellent.

The running characteristics of this engine are good, excellent slow speed control.

I was so pleased I bought a few extra as well.
Pacific Northern

raveoned

Pacific Northern-

Thank you for your input!  I'm really looking forward to getting it, even moreso after reading what you had to say!

I got it from an ebay seller, who sells a good bit of Bachmann (I'm also getting a G gauge Durango & Silverton freight set from them, which should be here tomorrow, the Mikado will be here next week).  He's in the US, but this locomotive does look extremely well-detailed (including the Tangshan builder's plate!)

When I get to download them into my computer, I will post a couple photos of the real thing when I rode the line this past Sunday.  Of course, it can't compete with the real Bachmann!   ;)

pipefitter

I have one that I bought from Peach Creek Shops. I bought the unlettered version because I rode excursions behind the prototype when it was Valley Railroad's #1647, before it was sold to the Susquehanna as their #142. I will be lettering it for the Valley Railroad.

Yes it is a beautiful model and a smooth, quiet runner. My layout is analog DC and the engine runs just fine without any mods to its DCC circuit. Good low speed running and low power consumption.

The Valley Railroad, with its Essex Steam Train and "Commodious River Boat" is one of my favorite lines - I used to visit that area frequently for my job. Their Mike #40 and Connie #97 are both magnificent engines and their shop has really come into its own. Now they have bought NYS&W #142's sister, SY #58 from the defunct Knox & Kane RR in Pennsylvania. It will be interesting to see what they do with the loco.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Pacific Northern

Quote from: raveoned on June 16, 2010, 09:02:31 AM
Just purchased one of the Spectrum Susquehanna SY Mikados off ebay, after riding the real one this past weekend (and even invited into the cab after the run to have a look around!)

I'm really looking forward to getting it, and I was wondering who else out here has one, and what do they think of it?

I tried to find a link I had regarding the SY Mike.

The link was a picture of an Alco 2-8-2 stock engine that was exported to China. That steam engine was a dead ringer for the SY and the conclusion was that once the Alco engine was received it was soon after copied and it was the basis for the SY engine. An example of "Backwords Engineering" which was common practice in China of Western goods.
Pacific Northern

raveoned

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 17, 2010, 12:34:20 AM

The link was a picture of an Alco 2-8-2 stock engine that was exported to China. That steam engine was a dead ringer for the SY and the conclusion was that once the Alco engine was received it was soon after copied and it was the basis for the SY engine. An example of "Backwords Engineering" which was common practice in China of Western goods.

That's about what the Engineer told me.  He said that China essentially took the Alco and USRA designs and just built from them, especially since after World War II, the US had helped a lot in getting factories like the locomotive shops up and running over there.

I'll have to look online, as so far the only vintage photos of Mikados I see are close but not quite that look.

Pacific Northern

Another thing I forgot to mention is that with the SY Mike you will be able to keep the engine and tender connected and also use the factory Spectrum box when the engine is off your layout. This model is meant to be left connected when stored.

I wonder why Bachmann did not design the other Spectum boxes the same way?

I can only assume that is a Bachmann China designed box.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

rave -

This is standard Chinese practice. 

They lacked the expertise to build massive electrical turbines when they started the three gorges dam on the Yangtze River so they contracted with several western companies to each build one turbine on the south side of the river.  They then studied the output, maintenance and so on for each of these to see which worked best in that application.  Then they reverse engineered that turbine and built all seven on the north bank to those specs.  This allowed them to get competitive bids on the first seven units and then steal the design work for the ones they built themselves. 
                                                                                     -- D

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 17, 2010, 04:09:01 PM
The N&W J class passenger verison w/o aux. tender allows you to keep them connected while in the box.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on June 18, 2010, 09:51:03 AM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 17, 2010, 04:09:01 PM
The N&W J class passenger verison w/o aux. tender allows you to keep them connected while in the box.

Yes, I forgot about the J. Same coupler between engine and tender.
Pacific Northern

J3a-614

An American locomoitve that I think looks close to the Chinese engine is the Virginian MB:

http://nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs.php?index=rs&id=888&Type=Picture

http://nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs.php?index=rs&id=888&Type=Drawing

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mikado/?page=virginian

SY history, copying from an Alco design was not quite as direct as suggested, but not far off, either!

http://www.railography.co.uk/info/cn_steam/profiles/sy.htm

I don't have metric-Imperial conversions handy, but could anyone tell me if the key dimentions between the MB and the SY are close?

SY--Cylinders 530mm X 710 mm, drivers 1370mm, grate area 4.5 sq. m, weight 142 t

VGN MB--Cylinders 24" X 32", drivers 56", grate area 51 sq. ft., engine weight 269,000 lb. (134  tons)

ebtnut

Well, by my calculations, the SY has 21 x 28.5" cylinders, 54" drivers, and 46 sq. ft. of grate area.  The weight is a bit trickier - I'm going to guess that the weight quoted for the SY is total weight of engine and tender, whereas the MB is engine weight only. 

Pacific Northern

Quote from: raveoned on June 16, 2010, 09:02:31 AM
Just purchased one of the Spectrum Susquehanna SY Mikados off ebay, . 

Waiting to hear how you like the SY Mikado.
Pacific Northern

raveoned

Got the engine a couple days ago, and finally got to run it at length last night.  I must say, the detail and running of this engine is amazing.  I really love it!

Here are a couple phone pics of the engine in action on my layout: