News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lift out track

Started by Chet, November 04, 2010, 10:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chet

This is my first post because I have read A lot of threads and found answers to my problems.
Thanks to all for the info. I have a pretty long run (44ft.)that runs across a door and need to put a removeable section so I can access without crawling underneath.
   All my track is Bachmann snap track and switches. Could someone point me in the right direction
                                                 Thanks Chet

jward

having had experience with liftouts on a friend's layout, i am not a fan of them or duckunders unless you have no choice. with a liftout, you need to ensure that the track aligns perfectly each and every time the liftout section is put back. not the easiest thing to do, and the liftout section was derailment prone. you also need to find a way to route power to the section that won't be damaged when the liftout is removed.

on my friend's layout, we eventually gave up on the liftout section and tried leaving it in place as a duckunder. that cured the alignment and power problems, but led to alot of sore backs and bruised heads. eventually, the layout was redesigned to eliminate that section altogether.

if you have the room, turnback curves on either side of the doorway are a much better solution.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear Chet,

December 1999 Model Railroader Magazine pg. 97:

Build a magnetic lift-out bridge
By Bill Darnaby
Latches secure this removable connection across an aisle

Your public library or local model train club could have access to this issue. 

If you have no luck finding it, let me know.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

OldTimer

You might want to consider a swinging "gate" rather than a lift-out.  The alignment problems are less of an issue and, unlike the lift-out, you don't have to find someplace to put the gate when it's open.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Michigan Railfan

Here's a video of someone that made a type of swinging bridge like OldTimer was talking about:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=OkYCDz2a7XI

jonathan

Blink,

Your link,

Is not what you think!

(he said, with nods and a wink).

Our club uses, what I call, a half a draw bridge.  It's similar to a lift out, but there is a hinge on one side--like a door that opens 'up'.  Engineering-wise, it's very sound, stays alligned very well, and is inexpensive and easy to maintain.

Wish I had a picture of the contraption.  It works very, very, well.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jim Banner

Liftouts CAN be made to work and work well.  The link Hunt gave, which I have repeated here:
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/model-book/liftout/liftout.html
shows one of two liftouts on a public display layout that runs over 20,000 trains a year.  Each train runs over both liftouts.  Number of derailments = zero.

A good part of the secret is that the layout "floats."  If there are any dimensional changes in the layout, the layout is allowed to move slightly so that the liftout bridges are not forced out of alignment.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: jonathan on November 05, 2010, 06:53:51 PM
Blink,

Your link,

Is not what you think!

(he said, with a nod and a wink).

Our club uses, what I call, a half a draw bridge.  It's similar to a lift out, but there is a hinge on one side--like a door that opens 'up'.  Engineering-wise, it's very sound, stays alligned very well, and is inexpensive and easy to maintain.

Wish I had a picture of the contraption.  It works very, very, well.

Regards,

Jonathan

Just curious, but what do you mean by "my link is not what I think?". Just curious because I don't understand what part is not what I think  ;)
Anyway, can anyone view the video? I just noticed that it was the mobile YouTube (i'm using my iPod touch), and the only way I can watch vids on my iPod is with the mobile version. Either way, I think the bridge in the video could work. It the door swings away from the bridge, then you could just leave it up or down, since when you open the door you could just lift it up and walk in. But, if the door swings towards the bridge, you would have to leave it up. Just a thought.  :)

Chet

Thanks one and all for the info and especially to Jim Banner for the attachment.
                                   Chet

jbsmith

a Geezer Gate!,,,kind of hard to hear him over the music track but still worth viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acm7J1fd4JQ

Jim Banner

jb, ya gotta love that term "Geezergate."  Our large scale modelling group has a vertical lift bridge on our portable "Geezer-gauge" (a.k.a. G-scale) layout.  Next time we have it set up, I am going to have to add a small sign to it.

We added a nicety to the gate on our portable G-scale that I would recommend for any bridge.  When we lift the gate, the track for 10 feet on both sides has the power shut off.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

Jim,

How does that power shut-off work with battery powered locos, or moving rolling stock? 

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jonathan

Sorry, I don't want to get off on a tangent, but...

Blink, when I click on your link, I get videos selections completely unrelated to the topic, or train-related at all. Perhaps it's just me.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

Apologies for the gratuitous use of Haiku.  My expensive education has to get used every once in a while.  :)

simkon

Quote from: jonathan on November 07, 2010, 08:47:52 PM
Blink, when I click on your link, I get videos selections completely unrelated to the topic, or train-related at all. Perhaps it's just me.
Yeah there is something wrong with most of his links, he must be accidentally copying the wrong thing.