News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track

Started by FosterG, December 13, 2010, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosterG

I don't know where to search for the answer,  What is the length of #6 turnout?  I want to add it to a loop which uses 9"straights.  What smaller sections (2", 3") will I need to make a # 6 turnout  replace 2 or 3,  9" straights?
Thank You. 

Joe Satnik

Dear FosterG,

Download and use Anyrail.com.  It's free for the first 50 track pieces.  It's easy to learn, and fun to use. 

According to Anyrail, dimensions in the EZ-Track library are taken from measurements of the actual track pieces. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

FosterG

Thanks Joe, short of downing loading software to find track library, does anyone have this piece and can measure it.  Thanks 

FosterG

Ok, how do I replicate 15 1/2" on opposite side of the loop?  I have a simple oval shape layout.  I would like to place a #6 turnout which will terminate as a spur siding coming off the longer side of my oval.  I will be taking out two 9" straights to drop in the #6 turnout. This will shorten one side by 2 1/2".  How will I shorten the opposite side by 2 1/2", when currently it is all 9" sections.   Am I missing something here?  My choice of ez track is 4.5", 3", and 2.25".  Thanks 

Joe Satnik

Dear Hunt,

Thanks for your concise and informative replies. (Item numbers are a nice touch...)

Dear Foster,

There are many ways to solve the puzzle.  A surprising number of them involve the 2" straight.

1.) Add 2-1/2" to turnout side. (See detail below.)

2.) Add 2-1/2" more to turnout side than opposite side.  (e.g. 4-1/2" - 2" = 2-1/2", I call this "differential gap fitting".)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,709.0.html

3.) Subtract 2-1/2" from opposite side. (Hunt's "No cutting" example in his previous post is 4-1/2" + 2" - 9" = -2.5")

4.) Subtract 2-1/2" more from opposite side than turnout side.

I will add detail to Hunt's #44592 assortment suggestion:

The simplest way to bring the layout back to multiples of 9" straights is to add 1" and 1-1/2" to the #6 turnout (15-1/2") to get 18", which is twice 9".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

forgive my ignorance, as i am not familiar with working with ez track.

when using a brand such as atlas you can often fudge things a bit. your track doesn't have to match exactly. thus, it would be possible to use a section of track 2 1/4" long on one side of an oval to compensate for a 2 1/2" section on the other. it isn't the ideal solution, but you can adjust the other pieces of track to compensate.

would this be possible with ez track, seeing as how the 2 1/4" sections are readily available?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

memethree

Why don't you just cut the track that you need from a longer peice of track and put new rail joners in it.