News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track

Started by rcracer5, December 27, 2010, 09:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcracer5

I picked up a box of misc EZ track for cheap. It has mismatch curve track. There is a number on the bottom of the track 92124A3-2, A3-1... Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean or how to reference these so that I can tell what different curves I have so that I can buy some more track? Is there another way to tell the difference on the track?

ACY

Those numbers are not part numbers, so I am, sorry I can't help you out. The track is likely one of the following: 15" radius, 18" radius, or 22" radius.

hawaiiho

There should be a square embossed box on the underside of the track.
The top line is "Bachmann"
Read bottom line. It should be something like HO  18" R  30

The 18" R means it is 18 inch radius curve track and the 30 is the degrees of a full circle.
So 15" R is 15 inch radius, 22"R is 22 inch radius, 26" R is 26 inch radius, etc.

If you divide the number following the R into 360, it should give you the number of sections
of track required to complete a full circle, or into 180 should give you the number of sections
required  to complete one end(180degrees) of an oval.
Hope this helps.

hawaiiho

I didn't know that. Every piece of curved EZ track that I have does have that information on the back.  

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Measure the straight line (chord) distance between the inside corners of the roadbed. 

Chord length calculated to the nearest sixteenth of an inch:

15"R-30deg = 7-1/4"

18"R-30deg = 8-13/16"

18"R-15deg = 4-7/16"

18"R-10deg = 2-15/16"

22"R-22.5deg = 8-3/16"

22"R-11.25deg = 4-1/8"

26"R-18deg = 7-13/16"

28"R-18deg = 8-7/16"

33.25"R-18deg = 10-1/16"

33.25"R-12deg = 6-3/4"

33.25"R-6deg = 3-3/8"

35.5"R-18deg = 10-13/16"

Assuming track bed width = 2" (then tbw/2= 1"), radius measured to center line between the 2 rails.

Formula used:

Chord length = 2 x (R - 1") x sin(deg/2)

In the early days of EZ-Track, there were some black roadbed odd-ball sections made that didn't match anything. 

My LHS may still have it as a conversation piece.  I have held it in my hands.  It was a little longer than a regular 18"R-30deg curve.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Hunt,

Though small, it's possible that that difference could cause a round-up instead of a round-down (to the nearest sixteenth of an inch). 

Fortunately, the chord lengths are all different enough to avoid any confusion. 

Joe 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Good on Bachmann for running with that suggestion. 

Since the molds are a "negative" of the item produced, it is very easy to add raised detail, such as small lettering, by milling or etching out the molds.

Taking away detail requires filling in the mold, which is more difficult.

Any machinist/tool-die maker care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik