News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

passing siding help please

Started by mrmtox, April 15, 2011, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmtox

For a passing siding I assume that I need to have power independently going to the siding so the main line and siding need not be "hot" simultaneously.. Is the best way to use the 10" straight track piece with under track wiring that Bachmann sells, set it up on an individual controller, and then isolate the siding by removing the little track guides that make the electrical connection on E-Z track? Any and all information/advice from those who have a passing siding off a main line would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Albert in N

You are in luck with simply connecting the E-Z turnouts and track sections to create your siding.  Generally, it is best to have at least one straight section between your layout curves and the turnout for through trains (to minimize derailments).  The passing portion with the turnout curve is OK however you connect the sections.  Most Bachmann sets have E-Z track diagrams.  The E-Z turnouts (like Kato UniTrack turnouts) are power routing.  When both end turnouts are thrown, the open track is powered while the closed one is dead.   With power routing turnouts, insulated rail joiners and extra power sections are not needed for the siding.  At least, this is true on my layout (and prior layouts with powered (power routing) turnout frogs (E-Z or UniTrack).   If you use insulated frog turnouts (like Atlas Snap Track or Custom Line), you will then need insulated rail joiners, power clips or sections, and slide button controllers sold separately.

mrmtox