News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New GP30 DCC - NOISY!!

Started by jimenezl, April 18, 2011, 07:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimenezl

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and to DCC.  I just purchased a GP 30 Diesel DCC Equipped and it's really noisy.  Should I return it or is this usual before break-in?

Thanks,
Lou

Doneldon

jim-

It's best to tell us as much as possible about your problem. For example, tell us the manufacturers of your loco and DCC system and whether you are operating on DC or DCC. Still, I'll assume that you have Bachmann equipment and that you're using DC.

Bachmann decoders are dual mode, i.e., they operate on DC and DCC and they are able to detect which mode is available. The Bachmann decoders can be a little rough when on DC, particularly at slower speeds.  You can clip the capacitors off to improve smoothness. Also, it helps to break your loco in by running it both directions and through both right- and left-hand curves. If you still have trouble after that, you might want to send the loco to Bachmann for service.
                                                                                                                                    -- D

ACY

It is normal even after breaking it in, it runs fine, just loud sometimes.

jimenezl

Doneldon,

The loco was purchased new from eBay.  It's a Bachmann GP30 DCC equipped.  I'm running with a Bachman EZ Command DCC controller that I bought used from eBay.  This is my first DCC loco with this contrller.  The noise happens when running with the DCC controller.  As soon as I turn the knob, before the loco starts moving, it makes noise.  When it starts moving it makes more noises.

I just ran it with the EZ Command DC controller and the noise is not present (you can still hear the whine of the motor).

Could it be the controller that's faulty?  I could take the loco and test it at the local train store...

ACY, I wouldn't want this noisy a loco on my layout.  It really sounds like it's messed up.

Thanks,

L

EDIT*  Just made a circle from the old EZ track and will run the loco for ten minutes forward and reverse to see if anything changes.

ACY

10 minutes in each direction is not long enough to break it in, it takes at least 40 minutes.

jimenezl

Will do 40 minutes.  Thanks!

Jim Banner

Quote... EZ Command DC controller ...

Would that be button 10 on your E-Z Command or would it be a dc throttle plugged into your E-Z Command?  Or would it be something else?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jimenezl

Jim, something else...  I used the basic DC controller that comes with the old Bachmann set.

jimenezl

After about 40 minutes of continuous running (both directions), no real change - still noise when the knob is turned, sort of the noise that you may hear on a faulty power transformer.  Is that normal for Bachmann's locos?

Thanks,

L

ACY

It is not a simple situation, some noise is normal for some Bachmann locos. I cannot hear the noise it is making, so I cannot tell you specifically if the noise is normal. Also it may need additional break-in, as 40 minutes was the minimum time required.

jimenezl

Thanks ACY.  Round and round it goes for a while longer.

jward

the bachmann decoders in these locomotives aren't the silent running type. the noise you hear is similar to running a dc locomotive on pulse power.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jimenezl

Maybe that's why it was only $31.

Thanks,
L

ACY

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for-a moderate price yields what...

jward

i'd have bought one for $31. they are good running locomotives.
as for getting what you paid for, moderate price doesn't always equal moderate quality. i've seen some really overpriced junk out there. this gp30 isn't one of them. if the noise bothers you, it should be easy to replace the decoder with one from digitrax or nce which has silent running. and you'd still be out less than the cost ofan atlas or proto engine without decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA