News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recently aquired 4-6-0

Started by Ben, May 29, 2011, 02:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I recently purchased a Rocky Mountain Express freight set, No. 90015.  Can anyone tell me about what year this set came out?  Just one more question, is there a basic rule of thumb to follow to identify the different versions of 4-6-0?

Sleeping Bear

here is a link to Georges tech tips on the Big Hauler ... http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html     Read down a little ways and it explains how to Identify the different versions of chassis that were prodused.....as for the year of production, I will have to yield to Loco Bill and his vast knowledge, or that of someone else.  hope this is some help....Later all....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Loco Bill Canelos

Hello Ben,

Your set 90015 came out in 1989 and was among the first electrically track powered sets made by Bachmann in large Scale.  It has the Version 2 chassis which unfortunatly had gear train problems from the get go, so treat it gently and don't overload it or try to climb high grades or it will probably break down.

It was a really nice set and the first to include a tank car. It was in the catalog from 1989 to 1992.

Here is my version of chassis identification methods.

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification  by Bill Canelos                             
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                           
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                           
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                           
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                           
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..   

Once I get more info I will add the new metal geared chassis in the Annie as Version 6.

Have fun with your new to you set!!               
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dave

Gidday Bill,
                 I have a 90015 set as well but i don't run it now as the Gearbox whines fairly loudly and can be heard over the top of the sound. I would like to get a replacement gearbox, but where from, I don't know.  It would be great to Double Head it with my " Annie " .

Cheers

Dave
                                      Waikino

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi DAve, 

If you are down under it will be difficult or at least expensive.  You could try contacting Bachmann directly in the US, and ask for the parts dept.

You should also contact Barry of Barry's Big Trains, as he makes great replacement gear boxes and full chassis for
big Hauler 4-6-0's.   www.barrysbigtrains.com.   I have never heard of an unhappy customer anywhere.  I know one commercial fellow who runs his 8 hours a day everyday and loves them!!

My big haulers have the version 5 chassis and double head very nicely with my Annie's.

Good luck.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dave

Thanks for the Info Bill.  I have just sent an E'mail to the service Dept regarding the problem.  I also noticed a replacement G'box for sale at $20, a bargain for me, but I'm not sure if it is the right one. Hopefully the Service Dept will put me straight on that one.

Cheers

Dave

Sleeping Bear

I would recommend looking into Barry's Chassis, as Bill said,  and the shipping to you....cost could well be out weighed by longevity.   Just my two cents......Later All....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Ben

Thanks for all the info guys.  It has been real helpful to me in determining just what I'm working with here. 

NarrowMinded

QuoteIt would be great to Double Head it with my " Annie " .

You could always remove the motor and run it as a "dummy" loco until you get replacement parts

NM