News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question on 'other brand' steam locomotive

Started by lanny, July 01, 2007, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi all,

Hope this question is okay to ask on this forum. After seeing UP#844 with my grand sons he other day, their dad (my son) saw the photos and 'decided' to finance an FEF #844 for our layout. Brass was NOT an option, however :D. Rivarrossi seemed to be the only viable alternative, but they are out of business. So off to 'eBay' land I went with my dear son's money in my hand ;D.

I was able to purchase on eBay a MIB 'last run (circa 2003) can motor, DCC ready Rivarrossi FEF-3 #844'. It will be running on miniumum 30" radius curves (but on 2.7 - 3.2 grades in some cases) and except for 'testing' has never been run. The seller is a very reputable eBay store dealer, so I am acceptng his description as honest.

I need suggestions for 'lubicration' or any other 'maintanence' issues with a locomotive that has not run since it was purchased new in 2003. According to the 'reputable seller' it has set on a shelf as a collector item since then. This one will definitely be running when the kids and grand kids are over :) Is the Rivarrossi difficult to lube, etc? and if so, are there any special things I need to be careful of when doing maintainence.

Thanks all for any help or advice on maintance. I've never owned a Rivarrossi model steam locomotive.

lanny nicolet 
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lanny,
I own/owned a couple of Riv steamers.  They come apart like brass - one big screw forward, to little screws aft.  There should be plenty of room to add weight if necessary.  Lube per standard - rods, grease the gears if necessary. 
Let me know how it works.
Gene
(not that I'd buy one!)  ;D
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

MrMunchkin

I know it's too late cause you already bought the Rivarosssi but Athearn is coming  out with a FEF soon.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: MrMunchkin on July 01, 2007, 08:16:36 PM
I know it's too late cause you already bought the Rivarosssi but Athearn is coming  out with a FEF soon.

Anyone else besides me getting tired of seeing Athearn do nothing but UP engines and not offering non sound versions for us who cannot afford sound?

Thumbs up to Bachmann for being one of the best steam manufactures of today. Doing more then just one railroads steam loco's and for offering non sound units at affordable prices.

Back on topic: Gene is correct, Rivarossi is very easy to matenice. however i own 12 Rivarossi engines and most of them only have two screws holding the boiler in position. one in the front, one in the back, and rarely(on 2 or 3 of mine i think) theres a 3rd screw going in the smokestack.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Hunt

Quote from: lanny on July 01, 2007, 06:23:17 PM
I need suggestions for 'lubicration' or any other 'maintanence' issues with a locomotive that has not run since it was purchased new in 2003. ...
lanny nicolet 

Lanny here is part of a general reply I usually give.

READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING.

Content moved to http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,5659.msg48135/topicseen.html#msg48135

lanny

Wow! Thanks Hunt. That goes in my "HO mech. info folder" as well as being used when the 4-8-4 arrives.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler