News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roundhouse project

Started by Jerrys HO, September 02, 2011, 01:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Jerrys HO

Well now that I figured that out. Here is the project I have been promising pics of. Not yet finished but was able to work on it a bit today. I still have the roof which I am working on today and a little painting to do. This is a Bachmann turntable with a modified heljan roundhouse. Oh this is my first kitbashing project so don't be to harsh any ideas that will help will be taken.
Thanks Jerry

jward

i am pleasantly surprised how much better the bachmann turntable looks than the atlas one. it's too bad there isn't a roundhouse kit that's to scale and set up for the track spacing of the bachmann tt.

you've done a good job of adapting this kit to fit the circumstances....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Jerry,

Let me second the good job on your project.  I especially like your choice of small steamers!  They can be made to run quite well, with a little tweaking.  ;)

Just an administrative note:  when you are posting pics, try to add a 'return' space between the links.  This will prevent the thread from spreading out to the right.  I'm pretty good with my arrow keys.  I do get dizzy though. ;D

I have even less space than you do.  Some of my stall tracks aren't even 9" long.  Been thinking of bashing an atlas roundhouse kit.  I'll get around to it one day.

Hope you post more progress in the near future.  Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

jward and jonathan
 Thanks for the comments.
  jward, you are the one that got me planning and now in the building stage.
  jonathan, first of all I am lucky to figure out how to use photobucket(thanks to richg). I don't understand what or how you are talking about on "try to add a 'return' space between the links."I see where one of my pics is shifted. How do I do that?
The space between the tt and round house is temporary,I have it set on my layout with a 9"straight between them.

this is an early photo of my layout in progress. things have changed to fit the roundhouse.
Jerry
also more pics will be coming I am spending alot of time on it today.

Doneldon

jerry-

It looks great to me. Nice work!

Remember to let gravity hold your roundhouse roof on. A derailment or the desire to do something inside the roundhouse (like lights, interior details, etc.) will be a major hassle if the roof wants to stay on and has glue to help it with that aspiration.
                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

jward

looking good.

how are those foam risers working out? they seem like a good product, but are not suitable for my handlaid track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

jward

The risers work very well. that is an older photo of my layout and things have changed.
I added an extra 2" of foam and actually cut like I was doing a cookie cutter and countersunk the risers thru the first layer of foam leaving the bottom layer unharmed.
As i cut the top layer I lifted it and slid the risers underneath. Not leaving the risers whole, I cut them and spread them apart every couple of feet to create a longer grade to make it easier on the locos. I will post more later after the rh is complete and back on the layout. The modifications are looking great! I brought it to my lhs and they were impressed with it.
Jerry

Jerrys HO

more pics of my progress

updated pic of layout w/ tt

again thanks for all the great comments
Jerry

jward

it's  looking good. the roundhouse is a work of art. and the overall layout reminds me of one i built in n scale years ago. it was 5x8 with the recess in the center like yours. the main yard and turntable sat on the upper level in about the same position as your original layout photo. i hope you have as much fun with your layout as i had with mine.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

PF (alias florynow),

Those 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2 standard locos can be made to run quite well.  The motors are very decent.  All you need is to add pick up wheels to the tender and some lead for the loco shell.   Then detail to taste.  I'm a new fan of those babies.

Jerry.  I am quite jealous.  I lack whatever spark is necessary to design interesting track pattern.  I really like your benchwork and trackwork design.

I can't tell from your pics:  are you putting mortar in the brickwork of your roundhouse?

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

florynow
Yes I am in NOLA. Yes that is the 745. It is or was sitting behind Ochsner Hospital when I went in the yard for those photo's. I have 1 0-6-0 dcc and 1 2-6-0 dc and both are excellent loco's out the box.

jonathan
Thanks for the compliment's as I still have a lot of sidings I want to add. Still don't know what I am going to model but I still have lot's of time to figure that one out.
I don't know what you mean by mortar in the brickwork? I am modernizing it a little. I still have a lot of detailing to go. Right now I am still working on the roof. Do you know how hard it is to cut each panel out and get it to fit. Plus I had to completely make the roof in the back and the hardest part is gluing those 1/8 styrene strips to make the ribs.
jward
As all way's thanks for your suggestion's, compliment's, and expertise. It is a pleasure to have so many people to help get a project up and running.
This is the first and only forum I am on and have so much fun learning different things from reading all the post's and watching project's like jonathan's come to life.
I like the layout too. I had the same style in O gauge and had so much fun with it I redone it in HO. Man you can do such much more.

Thanks to all and keep the answer's coming for all
Jerry

Jerrys HO

jonathan
Sorry did not catch on to the mortar comment right away. I was planning on painting it light grey first then doing a wash with the red but I ran across two problem's. One is the only panels I could find to match the brick is a little smaller than heljan's brickwork.
2nd I forgot to tryit first.I thought about trying to paint them in. And I thought putting those 1/8 styrene strips on the roof was difficult.
Jerry

jonathan

Jerry,

Sorry didn't mean to cause confusion.  I like brick buildings.  Some have a thing for the laser-cut wood structures.  I like brick.

For me (others do it better), I like to use acrylic paint (white, tan or a mixture of the two).  I paint a small area of the brick surface.  Then wipe off the brick surface with my finger or thumb, then wiping my fingers on a paper towel.  I use a toothpick to wipe off hard to reach areas.  A little dullcote after everything is dry and you're all set.  Not a perfect method, but it gets the job done without too much time and mess. This can even be done AFTER a structure is already built.

I got a little excited when I saw you were making all the walls in brick.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Jerry-

Your brickwork doesn't necessarily have to match.
In fact, you can use brick of a different size, shape
and/or color to hint at long life in a building which
has required repairs or modifications.
                                                            -- D