My Solution to the 0-6-0 Front Coupler Problem

Started by jonathan, October 31, 2011, 05:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

OK,

I drilled out the dummy coupler pocket.

Trimmed down a Kadee, undershank coupler.  Drilled a #78 hole in the shank.

Ran 0.015" wire through the whole thing (patience helps here).

Superglue.

Shim for proper height.

1/16" holes in the side will hold Kadee springs.

It ain't pretty, but it works.  A little time with sanding and paint will fix the ugliness.

'nuff said.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jhanecker2

Looks Good Jonathon .  I suspect you are going to paint the gray strips black  to match the rest of the coupler. John  II.

jonathan

Thanks, JH2.

Yes, I will perform a little fine sanding, after the glue has cured a day.  Then, will use some black paint.  This loco will be weathered a bit, too. That should help hide everything a bit more.

Of course, the coupler swing is reduced, compared to a normal installation.  However, it swings enough to push a pull cars around any curves.  And the coupler does center itself.  Whole project took about 90 minutes, including photography.

Regards,

Jonathan

on30gn15

Very interesting, looks like something to give a try  8)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

CNE Runner

FINALLY...a clear, concise, common sense solution to a vexing problem. I will try this on one of my Mantua 0-6-0Ts as all other methods have been less than desireable. Well done Jonathan...well done indeed.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

i'd like some clarification to questions i have looking ad the photos.

first, are those standard kadee knuckle springs you are using to center the coupler? how are they held in place?

second, does the entire draft gear box swing, or just the coupler? it looks like the springs are centering the box.

third, i am assuming that is a short length of piano wire used as the pivot point on the coupler. did you bend it over, top and bottom, to keep it from slipping out of the hole? if so, how did you do this without breaking anything?

all in all an ingenious solution to the problem, and certainly easier than some of the other solutions to this problem. now i'm going to have to look for one of these steamers as the lack of a working front coupler is what has kept my from buying one so far.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Ray,

Thanks, you are too kind.  Time will tell if my solution is a solid one.

Jward,

1.  Yes, they are standard knuckle springs.  They are held in place by pressure against the coupler shank on one end and the strip styrene glued over the coupler box hole on the other end.

2.  Just the coupler swings, and not very far.  Fortunately, for a short loco, and short rolling stock, one doesn't need too much swing.

3.  The steel wire is not bent, just held in place by superglue on top and bottom.  I have considered covering the wire ends with something, but I want to see how solid this attempt will be over time.  Some small sort of cap, or cover, might be in order, doesn't have to be much I'm guessing. However, the superglue seems to be a strong bond at this point.

Regards,

Jonathan