News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Big Hauler loco collection

Started by trainguy68, November 13, 2011, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainguy68

I've been lurking here for a couple of years but thought it was time to finally introduce myself. I'm a big fan of Bachmann's large scale equipment, especially the 4-6-0 Big Hauler locos. Must have about 30 of them in my collection! I'm not actually a collector as such, just someone who can't resist buying a great loco at a bargain price. Here's some pics showing some of the collection

As you can see I ended up with a few duplicates so I started taking older locos and fitting the bodywork onto newer '5th Gen' or Annie mechanisms. Here's one (below) which started life as a Christmas Annie from the Holiday Special set onto which I fitted the bodywork from an old '1st Gen' battery powered loco. Came out pretty good, didn't even have to repaint anything. I just unscrewed the body from the old chassis and screwed it onto the new one. The only mod is to slide the air tanks back a little to clear the larger cylinders.

And here's another one (below) this time using the Christmas Annie from the Wonderland Flyer set and fitting it with the body from an older '3rd Gen' Pennsylvania loco. Again no repainting was required, just a few screws. I love how it's so easy to swap parts around on these locos.

Anyway keep up the great work Bachmann!

Glen

NarrowMinded

I wonder why the pilot/cowcatchers are different on the holiday edition loco's? I never realised there where longer pointier ones until seeing your photos, I don't own any holiday loco's.

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

The longer pilot was used on the old wood burners which are the earlier prototypes with the older style domes.   Later more modern 4-6-0''s had the shorter more modern pilotsand the rounded domes..   If you see a longer pilot on a modern version it is be cause kitbashers like Glen swap stuff around!!  Ain't it grand!!!!

Bachmann has done some un usual things over the years like putting a diamond stack on a coal fired loco rather than the straight stack.  there are the 3 window cabs and two window cabs,  plastic Walshearts valve gear and simplified Stephenson valve gear.    With all the swaping it is hard to tell what is original anymore.   I had a guy swear he had seen an annie with plastic valve gear,  and he probably did, and I totally believe him .  I know of one guy who put and annie body on an older unit to get metal valve gear on his loco from the EBT set. The annie body went on the old EBT version 3 chassis.

With the first battery R/C 4-6-0 coming out about 22 years ago and with little changes as it developed into what it is now the Annie, and with thousands and thousands sold the detail variation are seemingly endless!

Nice swaps Glen!!

Cheers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

on30gn15

Hi  :)
That's quite a stable of iron horses you have, cool.

Hey, handsome looker that one is -
Quote from: trainguy68 on November 13, 2011, 10:38:11 AMAnd here's another one (below) this time using the Christmas Annie from the Wonderland Flyer set and fitting it with the body from an older '3rd Gen' Pennsylvania loco. Again no repainting was required, just a few screws. I love how it's so easy to swap parts around on these locos.

Glenbrook Valley loco is one of the most attractive by my tastes.
Also looks good as a coal burner.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest