News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEW 2-6-0 disassembly and extra sounds

Started by rrbob, January 01, 2012, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrbob

Hay Bach-Man, how do you take the boiler off the new Alco 2-6-0?  I want to add some piping and other changes without messing up the drive system?

GREAT little engine and it sounds great!

But why does your E-Z Command control not use more sounds? Besides the chuff there is only bell, two whistles, and steam blow down.  How about adding the brake squeal and the coupler crash?  There are plenty of extra buttons.
Any way these can be added to the E_Z Command system I have?
Thanks.
Bob D.

richg

No idea about removing the boiler.

Sounds cannot be added to the decoders. The advertising clearly shows what you get.
Bachmann did this to produce a sound loco at a more reasonable price. They cannot please everyone.
Rivet counters usually try to buy a DCC ready version of bite the bullet and replace the decoder.
You can always remove the stock decoder and buy a full featured decoder.

Rich

rogertra

Not got mine yet but I bet removing the boiler is fairly easy.

Probably a screw up into the smokebox between the cylinders and some tabs at the cab end.  That's usually how it's done.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I wouldn't doubt that disassembling the new ALCO 2-6-0 won't be much different from taking the 2-8-0 body shell off. A screw at the back under the cab and a tab at the front or pulling the stairs at the front out of the smoke-box.

railtwister

Quote from: richg on January 01, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

Sounds cannot be added to the decoders. The advertising clearly shows what you get.

Rich,

Maybe you can't add sounds to the decoder, but in the case of the brake squeal, Bachmann's own literature states that cv#196 is for brake squeal sensitivity, and the factory setting is 03, indicating that it may already be there. If there is no brake squeal sound on the decoder, why is there a cv listed for it? As for coupler crash, there is no cv listed for that, so it's probably safe to assume that it's not on the decoder. Here's a link to the cv sheet:
<http://soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_2-6-0_sv.pdf>

Regarding the advertising clearly showing anything, most of the advertising I have seen for this locomotive is rather vague, only listing it as a Soundtraxx decoder with sound, not even clearly stating that it is NOT a Tsunami unit, much less what sounds have been omitted from the new decoder compared to the Tsunami.

Bill in FL

rrbob

Using a different system other than the E_Z Command, it does have all the sounds, it's just Bachmann's own system won't play all the sounds in their own engines. So it does have all the features.
their E_Z Command only has the  bell, long and short whistle and steam release.

And Bill is right, the advertising doen not show clearly what you get for this engine, it only says it has sound.

Tried to change the coupler on the tender to a shorter shank and had to widen the end of the coupler box, make the hole in the coupler larger, and file down the coupler to get it to fit in the box.

The coal load pops out if you want to change it to an oil burner.
Bob D.

richg

Quote from: railtwister on January 01, 2012, 11:49:26 PM
Quote from: richg on January 01, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

Rich,

Maybe you can't add sounds to the decoder, but in the case of the brake squeal, Bachmann's own literature states that cv#196 is for brake squeal sensitivity, and the factory setting is 03, indicating that it may already be there. If there is no brake squeal sound on the decoder, why is there a cv listed for it? As for coupler crash, there is no cv listed for that, so it's probably safe to assume that it's not on the decoder. Here's a link to the cv sheet:
<http://soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_2-6-0_sv.pdf>

Regarding the advertising clearly showing anything, most of the advertising I have seen for this locomotive is rather vague, only listing it as a Soundtraxx decoder with sound, not even clearly stating that it is NOT a Tsunami unit, much less what sounds have been omitted from the new decoder compared to the Tsunami.

Bill in FL

The below link clearly shows you what you get. I think this link has been posted here a couple times.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_2-6-0_sv.pdf

Many are not aware that you have to do some research first, before buying when it comes to DCC.

I found that out a few years ago when Bachmann started selling locos with sound.
I saw in some DCC forums that not all sounds are included. Same with Athearn locos at the time.
When I bought the first 4-6-0 with on board Tsunami, I was aware that not all sounds where in the decoder.
I read up on the factory equipped sounds, first and compared to my Tsunami I installed myself in some Roundhouse and Spectrum locos.
When Bowser switched from LokSound to Tsunami, I emailed them and asked. I was told that Bower installs the same decoder that we get.

Rich

railtwister

The Alco S4 w/Soundtraxx sound out of the box has no brake squeal during operation. On the CV Sheet for this loco it states that CV196 is for "Brake Squeal Sensitivity" and that it's factory default is a value of three. A letter from Jaime (at Soundtraxx) states that the board has no brake squeal, and he offered the same link to the CV list seen on this group. The published CV lists for both the 2-6-0 and the S4 list  CV196 "Brake Squeal Senstivity" and it's default value of 03. I now await his explanation of why a loco with no brake squeal sound should need a CV for brake squeal sensitivity, or a default value for that CV.

When Soundtraxx came out with the Tsunami, they soon announced that they had ceased production of all other sound decoder  formats, thus making the implication that Tsunami was synonymous with Soundtraxx (and vice-versa). Now you must read between the lines when you see a new loco advertised as coming with Soundtraxx sound in order to determine if it is a Tsunami board, an equivalent, or some dumbed-down sound board, and only by actually trying it out will you be able to tell what active features it may or may not have (ie. don't rely on owner's manuals or instruction sheets to tell you this information).

I'm sorry, but I am disappointed by this, and I feel that publishing a CV listing sheet for this locomotive that shows not only CV's that pertain to features the loco doesn't have, but default values for those CV's as well, is at the very best, confusing (if not downright misleading). This is poor marketing, and certainly NOT "advertising that clearly shows what you get".

Beyond that, both the Alco S4 Diesel and the 2-6-0 locos otherwise look to be decent products for the price, assuming they don't succumb to the dreaded Bachmann Split-Gear Syndrome that seems to be so prevalent lately.

Bill in FL

rrbob

Can the Bach-Man reply to what sound are included or has anyone tried it out using something different than the E-Z Command?
It was tried out at my local shop and I'm sure it had the brake sound, but can't can't remember about the coupler crash.
Bob D.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
The locos chug as they run. The only controllable sounds are bell, long and short whistle. I believe there is brake squeal when stopping.
The controller used makes no difference.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rrbob

richg

That is quite a surprise. Even the Bach Man was not aware.

Rich

Bucksco

The good folks from SoundTraxx will be visiting the Bachmann offices to have an informal training session with the Bachmann service techs in the beginning of February. They will discuss the new Sound Value items and the new Sound Module for new Spectrum items. We are currently doing our best to familiarize ourselves with these new products in order to serve you better. I'm sure the Bach Man will be present ;)

richg

Quote from: Yardmaster on January 04, 2012, 07:17:38 PM
The good folks from SoundTraxx will be visiting the Bachmann offices to have an informal training session with the Bachmann service techs in the beginning of February. They will discuss the new Sound Value items and the new Sound Module for new Spectrum items. We are currently doing our best to familiarize ourselves with these new products in order to serve you better. I'm sure the Bach Man will be present ;)

Very nice reply. Many will appreciate this reply to know Bachmann is addressing the issue.

Rich

Bucksco

Not really an issue - just a new product line that we all need to familiarize ourselves with.

Some folks think we should have been familiar with them before the production units arrived in the warehouse - can't play with it if you don't have it yet......