News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New loco, no power

Started by rile42, January 19, 2012, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rile42

I just received my Bachman GP9 loco.  The box says "DCC-equipped locomotive" as well as "DCC on board".  I ran it briefly with the DCC code they all come with, then changed the code to its number board number on a program track.  I ran it briefly to make sure it would operate under the new code.  I was doing some switching with another DCC loco as well as a non-DCC loco.  After I had everything set to move the new GP9, it had no power, no lights, nothing.  All other locos were running normally.
I put it on the program track, the correct code was read from the loco....still no power on the layout track.  I changed the DCC code several times and still no power.
I found it strange that, attached to the new loco in the box, was a small five pin circuit board.  There were no directions for its use.  If it helps, the item number of the loco is 62802.
I really hate to return the loco if it is something I might be overlooking.  I am knew to DCC but have had no problems so far with my other DCC loco.
My system is run by a Digitrax Zephyr.
Any suggestions?   

the Bach-man

Dear Rile,
Reset CV 8 to 8. You may need a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of your programming track.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rile42

Thanks Mr. Bach-Man.  Funny thing, I had just done that before checking any replies to my post and it seemed to solve the power problem when the loco was operating at the 03 loco identification.  However, I have tried to change the code for the loco from 03 to its number board 7046.  It seems to accept the change but won't operate on that number.  I'll keep working at it.  At least it seems that the decoder didn't get fried.
In my initial post, I mentioned a five pin board attached to the loco in a small plastic bag.  I was mistaken, it's a 6 pin board.  I still have no idea as to its use though.

railtwister

Quote from: rile42 on January 20, 2012, 12:30:39 AM
Thanks Mr. Bach-Man.  Funny thing, I had just done that before checking any replies to my post and it seemed to solve the power problem when the loco was operating at the 03 loco identification.  However, I have tried to change the code for the loco from 03 to its number board 7046.  It seems to accept the change but won't operate on that number.  I'll keep working at it.  At least it seems that the decoder didn't get fried.
In my initial post, I mentioned a five pin board attached to the loco in a small plastic bag.  I was mistaken, it's a 6 pin board.  I still have no idea as to its use though.

rile42,

Also, you might try doing a reset again and using just the last two digits as an address (ie: 46), just in case the decoder doesn't like the 4 digit address for some reason. You might also recheck the Digitrax instructions to see what mode you are using for programming, and try a different mode. The 6 pin board is a jumper board that you must plug into the DCC socket if you want to remove the decoder and only run the loco on DC. If nothing else works, you can also try using a different decoder in the loco. You can buy some different brands (Digitrax, NCE, Soundtraxx Mobile-only, etc.) of decoders for as low as $15-$16, which may actually be cheaper than sending the loco in for service.

Bill in FL

Bill in FL

Bucksco

I would also recommend placing a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track. Seems that Digitrax systems sometimes have issues communicating with other manufacturers decoders.