News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding dcc

Started by rrdave, July 10, 2012, 07:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrdave

Has anyone added dcc to the spectrum GE 44 ton switcher?  O conclude sound is impossible.

richg

I have done this in two 44 tonners and one 70 ton. It is not plug and play.

Rich

Steve Magee

Don't conclude that adding sound to the 44-tonner is impossible, until you look at the options. In particular, as a starting point, look at the ESU micro decoder. It even can be gotten (or have downloaded into it) the Caterpillar engine sound which is correct for the prototype. I have installed one in an On30 Davenport which is about the same size - maybe even a little smaller - than the GE.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

richg

This was done some time ago. You can get better sound. I did not mess with the horn sound. I was happy that the project worked.
It can be done with the Tsunami Micro also but no idea on what sound to use if there is a suitable sound.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18743.0.html

Rich

Geared Steam

Quote from: rrdave on July 10, 2012, 07:23:20 PM
Has anyone added dcc to the spectrum GE 44 ton switcher?  O conclude sound is impossible.

I used a Tsunami TSU-750 decoder and 2 speakers, (827014    tsu-750 GE Cummins Diesel Switcher) remove the board and toss it for more room, and wire the decoder direct. So yes it can be done.
Good soldering skills, heat shrink tubing and kapton tape are recommended. The speakers mount under each hood with double sided tape. I replaced the headlight with LED's

If your are not comfortable a good hobby shop can do it for you.

richg

Though I said, not plug and play, it requires some mechanical and electrical experience and knowledge of NMRA wiring code, plus following the instructions that come with the decoder. With two speakers, the speakers are in series.

I used the 16mm x 35mm oval speaker that came with the LokSound decdoer. I cut out a little of the frame with a Dremel and diamond cutoff wheel.

This makes it easier to splice the wires.

Speaker and baffle.

I kept the light bulbs.

Beacon on top with a 1.5 volt light bulb that flashed. Operated by the decoder.

Rich