News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke unit ?

Started by union pacific 844, October 31, 2012, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

844-

The Seuthe smoke units are the industry standard, but they still have the oily residue problems shared
by all smokers. Their output is a little better than other brands but you still can't expect beautiful billows
of photogenic smoke from your steam engines.

-- D

union pacific 844

ok what smoke unit in the best?

Tom M.

The Seuthe line is probably the best aftermarket unit you can find.  The problem is, when you turn it on, it smokes a constant stream of smoke until you either turn it off or until it runs out of fluid.  When it runs out of fluid, you better turn the power off fast or it will burn out the heating element in a matter of seconds.

Both MTH and BLI offer smoke units in their locos with the smoke timed to puff in coordination with the sound chuff.  This is much more realistic.  However, I do not believe these are available for aftermarket sale.

Back to the Suethe, do you plan to use it with DC or DCC?  For DCC, when one of my clients requests smoke, I always install a micro relay switch to control the smoke unit.  This allows a decoder function to control the on/off function of the switch and allows you to feed full track power to the smoke unit in the on position.  The advantage of this arrangement is you have the ability to turn the unit off when it runs out of fluid, it feeds full power to the smoke unit to provide a good amount of smoke, and it saves you from cooking the decoder.

The Seuthe units draw 125 mA of power or more.  Most decoder functions provide 120 mA max.  Some decoders say they provide 200 mA, but the smoke unit current draw will eventually cook these units as well.  ESU sells a very inexpensive micro switch that is perfect for this application.

Good luck,

Tom

union pacific 844

hi Tom M. i  run my dcc engines on dcc and dc   so is it better to not have smoke unit?  i know some people don't like smoke units because of the oily stuff it leaves     

Doneldon

844-

"Industry standard"" means the best.

-- D

richg

The big issue with a smoke generator is installing it, properly. It is not plug and play. You will need mechanical and electrical experience.

Rich

Tom M.

UP 844,

Smoke is a personal preference.  I personally do not like it.  However, I have several DCC installation clients who love it and want it installed in their locos.  As Rich points out, most smoke unit installations are not "plug 'n play."  Depending on the locomotive, it can involve frame or loco shell drilling and milling to make room for the unit.  You also need to select the proper Seuthe unit based on the physical size of the loco and whether the boiler shell itself is metal or plastic.  If plastic, it is best to select one of the pre-insulated models.  Further, depending of the diameter of the loco's smoke stack, there is often a need to carefully drill it out to a larger diameter to accommodate the smoke unit chimney or to replace the stack completely with a larger diameter brass one.

Next week I will start work on a 4th Bachmann Richmond American for a client.  It is the worst case scenario.  I need to mill the frame to make room for the botton portion of the Seuthe #22, mill the inside of the boiler to make room for the top portion, and replace the smoke stack to make room for the chimney.  When it's done, I will have close to 6 hours involved in performing this work.  I then still have to do the wiring.

Tom

union pacific 844

the engine i want to put Seuthe smoke is a bachmann  UP 4-8-4 witch had a smoke unit  just wonder if Seuthe smoke unit would fit