News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

45 Ton Diesel Kitbash for tac

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, July 04, 2013, 06:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Tac,

Here are some photos of the Kitbash you asked for pictures of, I finally found them.

The story is that after WWII ended the boys from the Missouri Western shop crews returned home with new ideas. 8)  Management wanted to order a diesel or two, but could not afford it due to poor revenue.  The shop guys, all former navy submariners, said they could build one if management bought a surplus submarine engine, some trucks and wheels, sheetmetal and scraps from behind the shop.  ::)  The go ahead given they built the diesel powered #100 with chain drive to the trucks.   I swear the above to be true and I am sticking to my story   ;D.  The result is a flawless runner which is a powerful and very bullet proof locomotive.

Before and after:

Strip off frame and lower bolsters to reduce height:

Cut styrene to make sides and ends and bulkheads add stringers for roof, Use front & rear grills for side vents:

Add roof, window frames, and side & end battens:

Add cab doors from original to the ends, air reservoirs and roof vents & stacks to the roof:

Make & add handrails,add horn & old Big hauler headlights, paint & lettering:

Add glazing, REvolution receiver and Alco sound,  Lift off body allows easy battery changes:

Put her to work on plow train:

Great puller in freight services as well, even here in the rain:

This was a fun kitbash, the hardest part was removing and building new bolsters, and cutting away enough of he underframe to allow for truck swing.  After that I hardwired the motors and she has run great ever since.

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Bill - MANY thanks indeed for remembering my plea!! Much obliged to you for that.  I have a great affection for cranky old box-cabs, beginning with the old GN Y-1s I have in H0.  They are just so full of character to me.

I have a lead to an unwanted example as we speak, and I'll be making an offer to take it off the guy's paws.  Seems he had not appreciated quite how big the thing was for his otherwise 16mm Welsh NG-themed layout.

Any more pics that you could rustle up and maybe PM me, I'd be very grateful.

Best

tac, back from Oregon and hurting bad. 

Loco Bill Canelos

TAC, sorry but I don't have any more pictures, but if I find any I will pass them on. Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!