News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

train set around ceiling

Started by todd64, December 28, 2013, 07:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todd64

Hi, Im going to put a train on a shelf that runs the 4 walls in my grandsons bedroom. I am new to this and I need some advice on what I need. I bought a set that has the oval track set up to get the engine and the transformer the room size is 12x10. will the transformer work for this or do I need to get a another one. thanks for the help. Todd

Hunt

Are you are going to place the track near the ceiling or is it going about shoulder height around the room?  If near the ceiling, HO is too small to be seen. You should use O scale or better one of the large scales.

Run power bus with feeders to the track about ever six feet. Set up the track on the floor and run the complete train on it to establish the dimensions of the shelf and clearances needed.

Doneldon

todd-

Assuming you are planning a shelf near the ceiling, are you planning to use clear shelves so the trains can be seen from below or solid shelves? Do you plan to support your shelves from the ceiling or the walls? You can have your electric appliance (power pack if HO, transformer if O) at a convenient height and run one double-stranded wire up to the trains. Run that wire (I suggest 16 gauge lamp or extension cord wire) around the room with your tracks and connect the tracks to it every six to eight feet. That way you'll have only a single wire running up the wall but you'll still have excellent power to your whole set up.

Ignore all of this if you are planning a conventional around-the-walls layout at a height which permits watching and operating the trains below eye level.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on December 28, 2013, 07:32:14 PM
Are you are going to place the track near the ceiling or is it going about shoulder height around the room?  If near the ceiling, HO is too small to be seen. You should use O scale or better one of the large scales.

Run power bus with feeders to the track about ever every six feet. Set up the track on the floor and run the complete train on it to establish the dimensions of the shelf and clearances needed.

More ....
A lot more to a ceiling-shelf train than you might think.

Click Here for what one person did

Click Here to view video of what another person did. Notice most of the shots are from a raised level so the train can be seen.

For more information Google     ceiling shelf train layout
          Be sure to look through the "Images for ceiling shelf train layout"

Realize a ceiling-shelf train is a nice addition to a room for an adult but for a child there is a span of about seven to ten years during the growth of the child when that ceiling-shelf layout becomes not such a good idea. It becomes
an accident waiting to happen.