News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to post photos

Started by Model Tug, September 30, 2007, 12:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Tug

How do I include a photo in a message or a reply?
I am using windows XP
I have tried but I need to reduce the photo size and then include the photo into my reply.

Thanks
Rod

taz-of-boyds

Rod,

What are you doing to include a photo?

Otherwise basic reducing the size of a photo in XP is easy with widows paint from the accessories menu.  Once in paint click Image then click Resize/Skew.  To reduce to half put 50% in both horizontal and vertical resize options.

Have fun,
Charles

scottychaos

First, you need a place to upload your photos,
either some hosting space provided by your ISP, or one of the free image hosting services..

be aware that that vast majority of the free services so *not* allow hotlinking into forum messages..one of the few that does and works well IMO is:
http://photobucket.com/

For this forum, you should resize your photos to 500 pixels wide before uploading them..if you dont, the forum will do it for you anyway, and will scrunch them down and make them look bad in the process...if you make your photo 500 pixels wide to begin with, the forum doesn't have to scrunch them, it displays them "full size" and they look much better..

Then once your photo is uploaded, open the photo in your browser, *right* click on the photo and choose "properties", that will display the "address" of your photo, the URL of the photo itself..copy that URL.

then you paste the URL of the image between the tags.

if you click the

button above, that will inset the image tags into your message, like this:

then paste the URL of your photo inbetween those tags, like this:

and the result should be this:

Scot

taz-of-boyds

Scot,

Thanks!  I think I have seen some of this before, but have been trying to figure out what the trick might be for "free" posting at the photo sites.  I will look into Photobucket.

Thanks,
Charles

Model Tug

My ISP does not have free photo posting.  So I tried the "Photobucket" web site and concluded that they want too much of my private information and their use of my photos for for their own use,  for  me to feel comfortable with.
Can pictures be uploaded directly to this message board without going through a 3rd party?

Rod

scottychaos

Quote from: Model Tug on October 04, 2007, 11:52:04 PM
My ISP does not have free photo posting.  So I tried the "Photobucket" web site and concluded that they want too much of my private information and their use of my photos for for their own use,  for  me to feel comfortable with.
Can pictures be uploaded directly to this message board without going through a 3rd party?

Rod

what personal info??
you can put anything into any of those fields you want..
you can be Freida Svnejorgloginson, born in 1904 from Belieze, and they will never know or care..

QuoteCan pictures be uploaded directly to this message board without going through a 3rd party?

No, they cant.

One risk with the free sites such as photobucket and imageshack, is that they can delete photos whenever they feel like it..
that happened to me with imageshack..all my photos started disappering!
so I switched to photobucket..so far so good.
its fine for posting model photos into a forum like this, but I wouldnt rely on them for webpage use..

and as for them "using your photos"...I doubt they have much use for 480 X 640 low-res photos of N-scale layouts under construction!  ;)
or blurry Thomas photos..or whatever gets posted here.

as long as you dont upload your prize-winning high-resolution documentary photos of the conflict in Sudan, I highly doubt they will ever use any of your photos for anything!  ;)

Scot

Model Tug

Scott, you have given me food for thought!! I guess that I need to "think outside the box"

Rod

Model Tug

Scot,  I followed your instructions and established an account with "Photobucket" and then was able to post a photo to the "Large Scale" forum.
Thanks for the help,
Rod