News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco FA2 sound value

Started by Fernando, September 18, 2014, 06:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernando

I got a nice Bachmann FA2 Soundtraxx equipped. Tsunami manuals - user's guide and diesel technical reference - don't show CV5 (V max) and CV6 (V mid) unlike the Sountraxx link http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM_pages/bachmann/ho_fa2_sv.pdf, so don't know whether or not they are included and progammable.
Otherwise, the loco often stops and flash lights. I use Roco Multimaus and don't know whether or not there is any incompatibility between this system and the Tsunami. 
If anyone can clarify me on these subjects I would appreciate.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

The Sound Value decoder made by SoundTraxx for Bachmann does support CV 5 and CV 6.

The FA2 is equipped with a Sound Value decoder. The Sound Value decoder is not a Tsunami decoder. There is currently little documentation available written specifically for the Sound Value decoder.

Locomotives in Bachmann Spectrum line are equipped with a decoder using SoundTraxx Tsunami technology and that Tsunami decoder does not support CV 5 and CV 6.

I have not used a Sound Value decoder with a Roco Multimaus. When the locomotive stops, count the number of light flashes. That error code can be looked up using Tsunami documentation.

Suggest you contact Roco about any compatibility issues with decoders made by SoundTraxx.  Email: roco@roco.cc

Hunt

more ....

Technical Tip

The use of CV 5 and CV 6 is supported but not enabled in the FA2 Sound Value decoder.  To use CV 5 and CV 6 you must change both CV 25 and CV 29.

The Sound Value decoder in the FA2 default is set to use the Speed Table defined by CVs 67-94.
Notice CV default value selected by Bachmann for CV 25 is 16 and CV 29 is 22.

jwb

Hunt, I'm not sure if I understand your post -- to enable CVs 5 and 6, what do I have to change CVs 25 and 29 to? Also, CV 2, vstart -- is there the same issue here?

I have a couple of sound value GP9s whose start speed is much faster than the Atlas/Kato-Classic GP7s I'd like to run them with. Any advice or insights would be very helpful.

Hunt

lwb,
Briefly
CV 2 is supported by all decoders I am familiar with.  A value of 1 to 255 in all Bachmann factory installed sound decoders made by SoundTraxx activates CV 2 use. CV 2 can be used with speed table set by CV 2, 4 and 6 or with custom speed table selected by CV 25.

To use a Speed Table set by CV 2, 4 and 6,  program  CV 25 = 0 and CV 29 = 2 then set the locomotive address you want to use.

To be able to run locomotive using DCC or DC then CV 25 = 0 and CV29 = 6; suggest using CV 29 =2

Some technical details
Click Here for SoundTraxx MC2 Series Technical Reference. The Bachmann Sound Value decoder for the following CVs is similar.  However, ignore the CV default value as some of following CVs default value will be different by Bachmann Model.
CV 2   Vstart,  page 2
CV 5   V Max, page 5
CV 6   V Mid, page 6
CV 25  Speed Table Select Register, starting on page 23
CV 29  Configuration Register 1, starting on page 25, notice Bit 4: STE, Speed Table Enable.

Suggest you start a new Topic for Speed Matching.

Fernando

Hunt,

Thank you for the information.

Fernando