Chassis version Identification Big Hauler and Anniversary 4-6-0

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, November 16, 2014, 08:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

There are new folks asking questions about the Big Hauler 4-6-0's.  I will re post the info for their benefit.

So you have a Bachmann 4-6-0 and you want to know which chassis version it has.  Here is how to tell.

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification  by Bill Canelos                 Copyright 2002-2015 by Bill Canelos All rights reserved.                  
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                                 
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                                 
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                                 
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                                 
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                                 
Version 6  2011-Pres  New Chassis for Annie only, has metal gears and new front truck identifiable only by the new front truck                                 
Note that the dates overlap and as of Feb 1, 2012 have not been fixed more precisely, but all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                                 
The following sets released in late 1999 were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.                                    
All Big Hauler 4-6-0's manufactured after 2000 have the version 5 chassis, all new sets after 2000 have it as well.                                 
As of Feb 2012 Sets have version 5 chassis but all new Annies produced from late 2011 have the version 6 chassis it remains unclear if version 6 chassis will be included in sets at some future date         

Hope this helps.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks Bill!  This means my "Annie" I recently bought is actually a Ver. 5 engine  ::)

Not too upset (it runs well now that I've fixed things, zero cost but a few hours of labor involved), but the seller will not be getting any more of my business.

Admins, this needs to be a sticky!

Bob D.

fhenn