Bachmann Radio Control Big Hauler (Battery powered) Item 90102

Started by OliverD, November 29, 2015, 07:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OliverD

Recently I bought this Radio Control Big Hauler at a second had store. I have all the track, cars, etc, but no manual or instructions. It is a battery controlled train, DC, and the motor runs, light operate. The remote makes the engine run intermittently, but the engine works best when the two antennas (remote and engine) make contact.
Can anyone with a similar unit give me advice, e.g. where to look at the Manual or any technical information.
Anyone with information about remote control to engine operation trouble shooting would be appreciated.
Thanks, Oliver

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Oliver,

Your RC Big hauler was made about 27 years ago, and the RC was very primitive by any modern standards. It is very susceptible to interference and is definitely not strong range wise, but you should not have to touch the antenna  to the antenna on the loco.

There is not much to learn about it, use fresh batteries in the loco body and a very fresh battery in the transmitter.  A weak battery in the transmitter will definitely result in poor range.   Turn the speed control on the transmitter to stop. turn the transmitter on first,  then the on switch on the locomotive.  Advance the speed and it should go unless it is damaged in some way.  The startup sequence is important, but so is being sure you have fresh batteries.

The batteries do not last long, so  be prepared to replace them a lot.

If you do the above and it does not run it is most likely damaged in some way.

Best of luck,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

OliverD

Hi Loco Bill,
THANKS! I'll try and let you know how it works.
Oliver

Hunt

One of the issues with this model is the plastic drivers are intended to run on plastic track.  If locomotive is run on metal track with tight radius curves overtime the flanges will wear and cause derail in curves.

OliverD

Hunt, Thanks. I have plastic track, but will check the drivers, good point.
Oliver

Kevin Strong

While you're looking at the drivers, inspect the traction tires. (They're on the rear drivers if I recall.) If you see two very deep groves (about 3/64" square), they're not there. If you see two squarish grey rubber band-looking things, then you're in good shape. What I cannot tell you is how the rubber used for those tires holds up over 27 years.

Later,

K

OliverD

Update for All,
Thanks for your information and suggestions. I inspected the engine, drivers are excellent. One rubber on a driver wheel is pitted, the other perfect.
I put in new batteries and used the sequence for starting it suggested by Loco Bill.
This happens:
It runs when the engine power switch is turned on, even when the Controller is turned off
It only runs consistently when the two antennas touch, whether the Controller is off or on (doesn't matter)
The Controller has no effect whether the Throttle is in Stop, Forward or Reverse.
It never runs in Reverse, only Forward
Question:
There is a pin for a connection on the bottom INSIDE the battery compartment. It is not the same pin size as the one in the rear which is for the sound unit in the tender. 
Any idea what that pin is used for?
Also, where might I find a manual or instructions for this set?
Again, thanks to each of you!
Oliver

Loco Bill Canelos

If you are absolutely sure you are using fresh batteries and the train only runs when the antennas  touch, then the RC is most likely damaged.  I am only guessing the problem is the transmitter.   Make sure the transmitter and locomotive are on the same frequency.  When new there is a label on the bottom of the loco and on the transmitter that indicated the frequency. There were two different frequencies produced.

In the battery compartment in the loco there is/was a connection to use an NMIH rechargeable battery pack.

Here is a youtube video showing how it should run.  With the throttle lever in the middle on the transmitter, make sure the locomotive is turned off.  Turn the transmitter to on then the locomotive to on.  If it does not run like in this video it has probably gone bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okz1QNywwP4

There is a plug that goes from the tender to the loco for the sound.  There is a switch to turn the sound on and off near the bottom rear of the loco cab.

I am sorry but I cannot find my instructions.

Without actually examining your loco in person, I am afraid I have no new ideas.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

OliverD

Loco Bill,
Thanks so much for the latest information. The Video was so neat, I hope mine will work like that one day.
I tried a different Controller with the same general frequency. It works better than the original, but does not make it run consistently.
I'll keep playing with it, any other advice will be appreciated.
You are a great resource.
Oliver