News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The things we do for fun.........

Started by WoundedBear, December 27, 2015, 01:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

I tore this Spectrum 4-6-0 apart today. It's the next one in line for a "corporate" paint job on the Lye, Stihl and Djheet Railway. Still have to dismantle the tender. A couple pins broke, but everything important came out of it's mounting hole. Even managed to pop all the glass out without a fracture. I'll post pics when this one is done.

Sid

electrical whiz kid

Hey Sid;
You going to do anything fancy to it?

Rich C.

WoundedBear

Define "fancy".  :D

Is this considered fancy? The paint job is going to be very close to these ones.

Sid

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 27, 2015, 02:17:52 PM
What do you do about the broken pins? :-\

First I clean the broken pin out of the hole with a small bit in a pin vise. Then I drill a .015" hole in the part and mount a short piece of wire with CA. That becomes my new pin. Everything glues back together easily after that.

But like I said...minor problems. The two pins that did break are pretty much insignificant and hold the whistle and a lower stanchion in place. Simple quick repairs.

Sid

jbrock27

Ahh, so the "pins" are not part of the drive line parts.

Thanks for getting back to me. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Sid;
I like what you are doing.  That is a great paint scheme.  What I meant was are you going to do any rebuilding or stuff like that?

Rich C.

Ken Huck

Looks like you're on the home stretch.  Can't wait to see the end product, before and after weathering.

Ken

electrical whiz kid

One question, Sid;
Is that a 2-6-6-2 Mantua mallet behind the closest locomotive?  They all look good-very good.  I also have one of those, and it always reminded me of something John Allen would run on the G&D.  All very good workmanship!

RIch C.

WoundedBear

Thanks Rich...yes that is a Mantua model. It is now equipped with MRC sound.....runs like a champ. All I added was some glazing to the windows.

Sid

rogertra

Nice work buddy.

And thanks again for the reefer.  :)

Happy New Year.

Roger T.

jbrock27

Hopefully, it will mellow you out some.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim; I do not think Roger was talking about pot.

Sid; yep, they do run really well.  I put a Tsunami in mine.  I just like the way it looks.  I have two Bachmann 2-6-6-2s as well, and both of them run very well.  I have kept all three pretty well "un-ravaged" by my 'fine artistic hand'...

Rich

WoundedBear

Wayne........

I tear it apart as far as I do because I find I can't paint in behind all the areas I need to if I don't remove the details. Painting the tops of the running boards green, on this model, would be difficult without their removal. The steam piping was trapped between the running boards and boiler as well....much better looking if I remove them and paint all the piping and valves separately.

Sid