News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC for my new G Gauge three-Truck Shay

Started by Dennis the whistler, April 10, 2016, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis the whistler

Have a new G Gauge Shay coming in the mail. It was advertised as ready for DCC. What additional gear do I need to get the loco up and running (Part ID plus part number)? Thanks for your time!!

Dennis the whistler

Kevin Strong

If you're just going to be running this loco on traditional "analog" DC, then nothing extra. Place the loco on the tracks, turn on the power, move the throttle, and the loco will trundle off quite nicely.

If you're going to be running it under track-powered DCC control (i.e., you have a DCC command station already) then you will need a suitable DCC motor decoder or a motor/sound decoder. Many options to choose from, but you'll want one that can handle 3 amps or better. QSI, Soundtraxx, Zimo, and ESU LokSound are going to be your best bets at the moment. TCS will be coming out with a 5-amp decoder shortly from what I've been told, but it's unknown how long "shortly" may be.

To install the decoder, refer to the Bachmann drawings that will likely be included with your loco, or you can find them elsewhere on this site. There are two pages of electrical wiring diagrams, one showing the DCC-equipped version with a decoder pre-installed, and one showing the "DCC ready" version (which you're getting). There are two plugs; a 4-wire and a 6-wire plug which you'll have to sort out to install whichever decoder you use. The 4 wires are track power in and motor out. The 6-wire plug is for lights. There is an explanation of which color wire goes where.

Later,

K