News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

Not if it looks like that ugly CGI model. Oliver 2.0.

Metal

Frankly I don't mind Bulgy's CGI render, sure the proportions are a bit different, I don't think they're intrusive compared to the likes of Oliver and Duncan, perhaps a tweak in the lighting would make a big difference to his livery, often the character colors are much brighter compared to scenes and particular episodes were the lighting on the characters give them different shades. Also on another note, at least we now know it will less likely we'll getting a green Bulgy.

Chaz

The only classic character who I would rather not see in his CG render from Bachmann would be Duncan.  Any other character though, like Daisy or Bulgy, I wouldn't mind if Bachmann used their CG renders as a reference.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

SilviaGunner

Quote from: Sparks on September 29, 2017, 12:33:06 PM

If you don't like the CGI design, You could always 3D Print your own models.

Plow_Bender

No one wants a whiny little brat either, but here you are...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: SilviaGunner on September 30, 2017, 08:54:14 AM

If you don't like the CGI design, You could always 3D Print your own models.
hey I like the way you think

Quote from: Plow Bender on October 01, 2017, 09:55:34 AM
No one wants a whiny little brat either, but here you are...

-Rusty
Bulgys model is a shoddy, half effort model. The newer CGI models have been great for mixing realism detail and elements of their original model designs together, especially the narrow gauge engines. Duck and Oliver were misfires because of scaling issues and absences of certain details (like Olivers funnel is too small, and lack of counter-weights on his drive wheels). Those designs on Oliver unfortunately carried over to the Bachmann model, so for anyone who is truly nostalgic for the character, basically got a model that's a "whatever" representation of the character. Not Bachmanns fault, they're just following the reference HiT/Mattel gave them.

Now lets start whining about Bulgy! Lets see, his model is a step backwards in terms of how returning characters have been represented. He has almost no detail on his body, at all. Yes, it looks like the model, but this isn't the model series. When you have a CGI series, you need to add detail to make it stand out on the HD screen. Like Daisys initial introduction, he also has absolutely no interior details, hidden away by a flat texture set of windows. Sure it can improve in time, but it's not exactly a flattering start. To add, the face barely resembles Bulgy. Bulgys original face was very fat, protruding out like well, a bulge, ya know, his namesake. His new face is very flat, lacking any of the fat cheeks Bulgy had. The model could've easily had car panelling, rivets, etc. like you'd see on his basis, but Jam Filled Studios didn't even give them that much. The only benefit of the doubt they really have is their bankruptcy issue, but even that's a narrow shot because other characters like Hurricane, Frankie, etc. debuted with plenty of detail.

Right now, Bulgy is a step backwards for fan service, in terms of his CGI model. Yes, he was written in his old persona, but that's irrelevant to the topic of his CGI render.

TrainFan97

Another character I'd love to see get rendered (aside from BoCo) is Derek.

I honestly fail to understand why Derek only made a one-off appearance, and a music video cameo in Calling All Engines. I mean, he's one of those non-antagonistic diesels, and he was a great character in his only episode. I really hope he gets rendered eventually. I highly doubt it would happen this season. I still have my hopes for BoCo this season. Both diesels have good episode potential.

I don't think we'll see any returnees next year, because of this Big World! Big Adventures! thing which will be all about internationalism, something Mattel is blatantly obsessed with for some reason.

Other returnees the show needs:
Duke
Stepney
Arthur
Murdoch
George
Caroline
Bulstrode
Elizabeth
Isobella
Kelly
Byron
Ned

And about Bulstrode, if he were to get rendered, they can do what they did when Bulgy came back. There's a very good chance he'll keep his original personality; being a disagreeable barge that never stops complaining.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TerencetheTractor525

There's been a lot of emphasis on a new loco throughout the thread. However, if possible, I would like to briefly shift the focus to the resin buildings as I personally believe that they are extremely underrated. Back in 2014, when Bachmann announced the first four resin buildings, I was overjoyed. I can remember opening up Brendam Warehouse and looking at all of the fine details in awe with my mouth wide open. Then, in 2015, when Bachmann announced another four buildings, I was very excited once more. I was hoping that more buildings get announced afterwards, but none got announced for 2016 or 2017. That's why I am genuinely hoping that some more get announced for 2018. Even if only one new resin product is announced for 2018, I would be extremely elated.

Anyways, two ideas I have are posted at the very beginning of this thread. However, another idea recently popped into my mind. What if Bachmann made the ruined castle seen on the narrow gauge railway? I'm thinking of the one from Season 7 as it would go very nicely with the Black Loch Folly. Here are some links to show what it looks like...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/3/35/RheneasandtheRollerCoaster1.png/revision/latest?cb=20160123190331

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/1/10/TheOldBridge2.png/revision/latest?cb=20170217194411

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/a/a7/TheRefreshmentLady%27sTeaShop13.png/revision/latest?cb=20170301143357

If anyone has other ideas for a new resin building, please post  :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TerencetheTractor525

I just noticed that the first link is rather small for some peculiar reason. As a result, he is another link to the same pic...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/c/ca/RheneasandtheRollerCoasteralternatetitlecard.png/revision/latest?cb=20160123185812
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

JLK2707

How about elsebridge station?

Cheeky_ULP

I would like to see the Signal Gantry Junction personally:

In CGI, it has a four track and a three track variation. The difference is how many arches/poles it has:

Both versions appear in various scenes up to Season 21. Personally, I prefer the four track variation, where it only has two passage ways (as per the model picture), as it has been around in that form since the Classic Series. The 3 passage way version was introduced in Season 17.

sodorisland121

Since Bachmann did cranky, I think They should do Big Mickey

sodorisland121

Bachmann should make Carly, since they did cranky in 2002. They should also make Big Mickey

TrainFan97

Bachmann models have a lot more effort. They're a lot more complicated to make than Adventures or TrackMaster. There's a reason they only announce a few things a year. Bachmann is not like the toy ranges.

This thread also got yet another clone. I don't know what is up with people thinking Bachmann can announce 10+ engines a year. Do they seriously think Bachmann can do that? Sometimes, whenever somebody does this:

"Here are my 201X predictions"

*Inserts a huge list of 20+ engines*

"I want all these next year, so get making, Bachmann."

I can't tell if unrealistic predictions like that are made by kids or trolls. Sometimes, they literally copy and paste that same post, and post it multiple times.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Cheeky_ULP

Realistically for buildings, I think the Ruins Castle mentioned above would be a great choice. In addition to my idea of the Signal Box Gantry, I think adding Ffarquhar for another station would make a great line-up for 2018 ranges. They would only need to do one platform anyway, as per Season 1-8, to save on resources, rather than doing both platforms.

Its been awhile since we've had some new resin buildings, so I'd say we're about due another set.