STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 06:13:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  how can i convert a HO BNSF from DC to DCC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how can i convert a HO BNSF from DC to DCC?  (Read 230 times)
boober1942

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:47:43 PM »

i purchased a BACHMAN HO BSNF DC form EBAY and i would like to convert it to DCC
ACY

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »

A picture is worth a thousand words. You can use your favorite image hosting site to share a photo. Without more information I can't give you any specific help.
I will say that many older Bachmann locomotives are not worth converting as the newer models are much nicer quality overall, and have very nice detail and run much better and they often come with DCC and sometimes with sound installed as well. If you are a novice to DCC installs then depending on the locomotive it may not be best to attempt to install DCC by yourself straight away.
Generally speaking if you do try to install DCC it is key to make sure to isolate the motor from the frame and to be keen to keep track of where each wire is supposed to go to if it has a board. Most older locomotives are not DCC ready and will require a hardwired install so the ability to use a soldering iron/gun will be necessary.
Sorry I can't help you anymore specifically without more info.
Yardmaster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »

The first thing to do is remove the body shell and look to see if there is a removable 8 pin plug on the circuit board. If these is a plug you can remove it and plug in an NMRA compliant DCC decoder. If you install a sound decoder you will also need to install a speaker somewhere in the loco and connect it to the decoder. If there is no removable plug on the PCB you need to trace the wiring and "hardwire" in a decoder. Check out this link if this is the case:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27726.0.html

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: