STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 07:01:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  anorher dc or dcc on a small layouy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anorher dc or dcc on a small layouy  (Read 172 times)
sarasdad

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »

Considering the cost of decoders, with 5 needed would powerpacks be a good option?
jonathan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:15:35 AM »

Depends on how you like to run trains.

I have a medium sized layout, with a triple-track mainline, and two areas available for switching.  Yet, I like my trains to go roundy-round as I watch them.  So, my layout is DC, no decoders anywhere. 

I keep my DCC inventory separate for the club layout and modular train shows.

If you like to do switching/operations, there is an advantage to DCC and would be worth the cost.

But, if you're a roundy-round kind of operator, DCC may be unnecessary. Just an opinion...

Regards,

Jonathan
Joe323

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »

You need to better define the kind of layout you are building and how you will run it.  In my case for example I do a lot of switching so I went DCC because it allows me to have 3 or 4 locomotives parked even though I usually operate only one at a time.
sarasdad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »

If you nhave Tony Koester's Realisti9c  Desigh on page 55 is siimilar to what Iam planing. Basically aoval,two passing tracks,reverse loop and several induserys. Iown an EE-Z Command and two dcc on boasrd locos. Iam thing a setup like our local NMRA uses when sone wants  to use  dci.e. switch one track to dc. Thank both of you for the replies.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: