STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 01:19:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  bachmann alco s-2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bachmann alco s-2  (Read 345 times)
indian_hills_r_r

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »

I just purchased a Bachmann alco s-2 cp loco that dcc ready. but I am having a problem removing the shell so that I can install a decoder. the manuals don't tell how to remove the shell.  are there any screws that need to be removed and if so where are they located.
MilwaukeeRoadfan261

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:15:29 AM »

I have the S-4 myself. All you need to do is remove the couplers by removing the screws that hold them in place and then you just lift the shell away from the frame.
indian_hills_r_r

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:44:57 PM »

thanks,
indian_hills_r_r

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »

milwroadfan261,  thanks for the help. after doing as you explained the body came right off. I put in a decoder but now body won't go back on. I think I may have to use a n scale decoder with a long harness. 
but again thanks.
if you have any ideas of what decoder to use please tell me
bapguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »

Bachmann sells their sound  value decoders.   
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_698&products_id=10482
 also speaker enclosure
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_602&products_id=7121
   I installed a Tsunami and the baffle listed but had to modify the enclosure.     Joe
RAILSPLITTER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »

Joe,
How does the speaker hold up with the power output of the Tsumani???.I had to replace both of my stock speakers in each Alco s2 and s4 sound value because the 13mm stock speaker just would not hold up and crackled.The decoder puts out too much base for such a small speaker to handle and turning down everything to compensate should not have to be done if the correct speaker was used to handle the power. This is like putting  a 5 watt ear bud speaker using a 100 watt amp and telling your customer it is all good just do not turn it up to max.The speakers used should be able to handle the max power of the amp and then some . If not it is made wrong. Agree/ Disagree?

Jon
bapguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 11:24:58 PM »

I turn the volume on my decoders to about half to 2/3. The enclosure is  available with out speaker as well so you could use a better speaker. A sugar cube speaker might work in it's place. Soundtraxx has 2:  810154 and 810155. I may try one of these instead of the
 Bachmann enclosure.    Joe
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: