STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2018, 04:27:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  DCC install .... remove capacitor ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DCC install .... remove capacitor ?  (Read 365 times)
Vizzin72

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:40 AM »

A while back I installed a DCC decoder in a Baldwin RF 16 (it was a NCE Bach DSL decoder).  The instructions called for two capacitors to be cut out of the existing engine before installing the chip (everything worked fine).  I am now trying to install a soundtraxx TSU - 1000 decoder and I was wondering is this removal of the stock capacitor something that is done always no matter what brand decoder is being installed?  In other words is this something I am going to have to do again.  It is going in to another RF 16 just like the first engine its just that this time around I want to add sound thus the TSU - 1000.  It is one of those things that the Bach DSL chip came with instructions specifically for Bachman engines which made it easy ... I don't know if the soundtraxx decoder will have similar instructions considering they make it with use on all different kinds of makes and models.

thanks
dutchbuilder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:24:16 AM »

The capacitor is there to suppress radio frequentie interference from the spark of the motor.
It works like a sort of filter.
It can also suppress the dcc signal to the motor and that is what you don't want.
So always remove the C from the motor.

Ton

Vizzin72

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »

Thank you for the knowledge !!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: