STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2018, 12:33:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  Adding weight to tankers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Adding weight to tankers  (Read 2341 times)
RAILSPLITTER

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 11:17:53 AM »

The better term is “tank car”.  “Tanker” is the term that uninformed news reporters use.
We know what he is talking about. Why is a correction necessary?

Jon
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

My mistake.  And my sincere apology.  Wasn’t intended at all as a “correction “ but that’s how it was perceived, and perception is everything in any interaction.

If it had been me , I would have wanted and enjoyed receiving more information about railroading and an addition to my railroad vocabulary . But not everyone is like me.  I’ll take that into account in the future.

Modeling the New Iberia and Northern 1945
rstroud

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »

I do appreciate the info and/or advice, but starting out with a language lesson wasn't necessary and is childish in my opinion. Tanker/Tank Car...everyone knows what the reference was and it really depends on which region you live in as to which term some may use.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »

Your opinion is only your opinion, stroud.  You may think whatever you wish.  I’m way too old to get my feelings hurt one way or another.

I was not intending to offer a language lesson at all.  I’m speaking from over 50 years of being around the prototype.  Tank cars were always called tank cars.  By everyone in the industry I ever talked to about them in all those years, from train crews to management.  Regionality has nothing to do with it.  That is a fact.  If you don’t like that, it’s totally fine with me.  I’m not arguing with you or correcting you at all, just stating a fact.  Call them whatever you want.

Len

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »

Trainman - Agreed. I was a chemical operator for Pfizer 'back when', and had to deal with filling and unloading tank cars. Everyone in the plant, even if they had nothing to do with the rail operations, called them tank cars.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »

BTW, if anyone sees anything needing correction in anything I post here, I welcome it.  Even at my advanced age , I enjoy learning.

Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »

Since I try to practice economy of verbiage, I'd probably called them tankers since it has one less letter and no spaces. Grin

Feel like a Mogul.
Jhanecker2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »

No offense Gentlemen  a tanker has been a ship for much longer and still is . John2 .
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 12:27:02 AM »

That brings up an interesting question.... when “was” the first “tanker?”  I think the first “tank cars “ beyond vats on flat cars might have been the 1890’s.

Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »

Apparently it was the late 1860's. It says by 1866, oil haulers were using vertical Densmore tanks then a year later switched to the horizontal ones.
https://aoghs.org/transportation/densmore-oil-tank-car/
Another site -
http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/TankCars/Evolution.html

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:42:14 AM by Terry Toenges » Logged

Feel like a Mogul.
jward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »

Back to the original question.
I've found that HO tankers are big enough that you can use pennies as weights, The Bachmann 3 dome car has an interior saddle type frame that the tank body fits over, and you can glue the pennies vertically in the saddle. I've found that 5 cents in each end brings the car up to NMRA weight.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA
RAILSPLITTER

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »

The better term is “tank car”.  “Tanker” is the term that uninformed news reporters use.
No his term is correct language since we all know what he is talking about. That is all language is communication. Breaking it down to what is said to be incorrect or correct is meaningless and incorrect since the communication was understood.Try analyzing morose code . That may be usefull one day again.

Jon
RAILSPLITTER

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »

No offense or political correctness intended.  Tank car is what they call them in the railroad business.  Tanker is what I see tank cars called on the news when there’s a derailment somewhere.
Just like saying .I admit to breaking the law ,but I did not know the law.Recommend boot camp for you!
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »

Repeat: tank car is the industry calls those cars.  Tanker is what non industry people call them.  Fact.  Sorry.

jward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »

Don't y'all think that the argument over what to call those cars has detracted from the posts that actually HELP the guy?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: