News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Locomotives on DC track

Started by adiant, December 30, 2007, 09:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adiant

I recently purchased a Bachmann Mikado (#83211).  It is DCC but I am starting out just with a standard DC layout, using an MRC Railpower 1300 power supply.  Do I need to do anything to the Mikado (new out of the box) to make it work?

I checked the tracks with a DC voltmeter and see the appropriate voltage between the two tracks.  But nothing happens when I place the locomotive on the tracks.

This is my first model railroading since 1964, so even the most basic tips would be helpful.

the Bach-man

Dear Adiant,
Your locomotive should operate right out of the box. If it doesn't, contact the service department.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

adiant

Thanks again for the straight answers!

TonyD

That is the new Chinese SY you have huh? Awesome thing isn't it? New sealed in celaphane is a problem, but remember the tender HAS to be plugged in to the loco tight, it might not be making a good contact, now, seems that when I buy a used dcc eqiupt something, I have to take the decoder out, 'cause someone programed thier own stuff in it, and the thing won't run on DC anymore without a dc plug- am I right guys? I try to use my dusty money pit dcc stuff to set them back to '00', but sometimes I can't do it- so, even if this was brand new in the shop, if some wiseguy put it on a dcc test track and messed around with codes, someone got to put it all back, ain't gonna be me! My 1st layout was in '65 and I wired the latest one the same way.....
happy new year and good luck-
Tony
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

TonyD

I just though of something as I take my SY's out for a spin....these must be the latest production! in the box, there was a tiny bag, as Steam Gene said, they are shipped with dc adapters-so, if you bought brand new, there was a small plastic bag with two 3 pronged fork looking things, just tiny little sheet metal things, with a piece of paper with a diagram on it. Did you ever do this before? if you don't have them you have to solder up a fork with like 22G wire, and put them in the right holes, hench the diagram in the bag keeps the geussing down--You- or someone knowledeable in this, must remove the tender shell, remove the dcc decoder, carefully, I just use my fingernails. Then with a sturdy pair of very narrow needle-nose pliers, or hemostates if you can find them, carefully insert the 3 prong metal- what do they call it MR.Gene? plug? dc jumper? anyway, it is brain surgery, but, yours had the dcc decorder already inplace, it doesn't have a dc code, and it won't run on dc unless you do this proceedure, or find someone experienced to do ith with you, gosh don't break anything in that little jewel....good luck and be carefull, sorry it took me so long to help, my brain works like that.....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

grumpy

Go back to the Bachman's  answer.Don

Johnson Bar Jeff

May I second TonyD's suggestion to make sure the tender is completely plugged in to the locomotive?

When my new Spectrum American arrived last week, I had the same problem, the engine didn't run. My American does not have a decoder, and I'm also running on DC. That plug-pin connector arrangement was new to me. At first I thought those plugs had something to do with if you put in a DCC decoder, so I didn't even have them plugged in! LOL! When I experimented and got both plugs properly seated, the engine ran like a charm.

Now my only concern is, I'm scared to death to unplug those plugs to put the engine back in the box for fear of pulling out or breaking a wire.  :-\

Incidentally, I'm also using an MRC Railpower 1300, and I can't believe how well my engines run off it.

Jim2903

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 14, 2008, 11:19:54 AM
Now my only concern is, I'm scared to death to unplug those plugs to put the engine back in the box for fear of pulling out or breaking a wire.  :-\

You and me both. That's because as great as Spectrum locos are, the loco-tender connections are awful. P2K's is the best.

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Jim2903 on January 14, 2008, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 14, 2008, 11:19:54 AM

You and me both. That's because as great as Spectrum locos are, the loco-tender connections are awful. P2K's is the best.

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Thanks, Jim. While your comment doesn't make me feel any better, it's still kind of nice to have confirmation of my concern.

Jeff

adiant

As suggested by The Bach Man, I reported the problem to Service on December 31st.  Two month had past with no response, so I reported the problem again on the weekend and received the following response first thing this morning:
QuoteHello, this is a DCC on board engine. You need to hook the tender in
order to run it and also you need to run it on DCC track. If you are
going to run it on DC track then you must remove the decoder and put in
dummy plugs. Otherwise you will short out your engine. Thanks, {name removed for privacy purposes}
I need some advice:  is it worthwhile removing the decoder and putting in the dummy plugs?  Or have my attempts to run it on DC track damaged the engine by shorting it out?

Yampa Bob

The Bach-mann said it is DC compatible, and should run on DC right out of the box.   Do not remove anything or install the jumpers. 

If it won't run on DC then send it back. Adiant, did the note come in an email? If so you might want to advise The Bach-mann.

Mr Bach-mann, who would send such erroneous information to Adiant??

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

adiant

Yes, I received the quoted note as an e-mail from Bachmann Service.

If the Bach Man would like the name of the Service person, I will gladly forward the original e-mail to him.  I would have sent it to him already, but I've been unable to get Personal Messaging (PM) to work on this board.  The entry of the 5 characters required to send a PM always fails, whether I type it all upper- or all lower-case.  Even after listening to the audio reading of the characters.

the Bach-man

Dear Adiant,
I'll look into this as well.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

Adiant
Don't delete that mail, it is a classic.  It's  one thing to get false information on the phone by a receptionist, that happens.  But it was actually signed by someone?

When I got my first Connie, I called service about the jumper pins.  I was told that if you install the dummies, it would no longer be DC compatible.

I think the night janitor decided to help catch up on the mail. 

Bob 

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

adiant

Just wondering if The Bach-man has heard anything on this.

Thank you.

Jon