STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2017, 01:30:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  An era gone by
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: An era gone by  (Read 3568 times)
pdlethbridge
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »

Ram, except for the nukes, steam IS dead in the Navy. Most now are diesel or gas turbine, in fact, the BT rating has disappeared. I spent time in 4 fire room and when I made third, they moved me to 1 fire room. Liked the aft arrangement better but I think up forward was cooler.
SteamGene

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

Rich,
While the housewife who forgot the schedule when she put out the laundry might disagree with me, I don't think that steam - especially coal polluted very much.  The cinders were mostly carbon - a fertilizer and feel close at hand.  Consider the money spent by railroads to keep plant growth off the ROW as the cinders fell close to the rails - not carried 1000 miles like today. 
Gene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"
Paul M.

T&P Railway in the 1950s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »

Do a reality check. Steam locomotives while entertaining and challenging, were notorious for pollution and inefficient, a lot of heat loss. It was not unusual for 30 to 50 locomotives to be  in a yard coming from, waiting for, leaving on assignment. There were many yards like this in the US.  I have seen photos like this. Unless the steamer was removed for service, the fires were banked until needed again. It is a four to five hour process to boot up a oil fired steam loco. Longer for coal fired.
http://www.sdrm.org/faqs/hostling.html
http://www.sessions-station.com/firing_a_steam_locomotive.htm

Rich

In Centennial Yard, near where I live, there are almost always 40+ diesels idling, ready for service....

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: