News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Golden series. Need info

Started by lthdean, June 17, 2008, 01:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lthdean

Does anyone know when the G "Golden series" was introduced and how many sets were involved? Are they still produced & available. Thanks, L.T.

the Bach-man

Dear LT,
The Golden Classics series was introduced in the early 90s, and sold only to hobby shops to give them a unique item. I did the prototypes for all of them, and have most on my shelves. They included a UP, Milwaukee, C&S, and a couple of other sets. Loco Bill will likely have a complete list; I can't remember which were which...
TMT...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi LT,

Been locked out of the board and could not reply till now!

Golden Classics sets

Here is what I know:

There were seven sets made for the Golden Classics series.

Set 90098 1991 Union Pacific 5000 sets made
Set 90097 1992 Pensylvania RR  5000 sets made
Set 90096 1993 South Pacific Coast 3600 sets made
Set 90094 1994 Milwaukee Road 3600 Sets made
Set 90092 1995 Colorado & Southern 3600 Sets made
Set 90085 1996 East Broad Top 3000 sets made
Set 90088 2000 King Coal Reading RR  made for Boscov's Dept Store, numbers of sets is unknown

All sets were made with a Loco Tender and 2 Passenger cars, track & power pack.All were sold through hobby shops except for the Boscov's Dept Store set 90088. It seems to be harded to find tha the others

The sets were made only in the year and quantity noted and were never re run.   These sets are worthy of a collectors attention.   I have seen every one of these sets on EBay over the past three years.   There is no reason you couldn't find all of them with careful watching on Ebay.

Bachmann, Did you do the King coal set as well??

Anybody know how many were made for Boscov's?,  let me know!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

heliboy

Loco Bill Canelos

The prices really vary based on price and condition.    On EBay, some have gone for as little as $50.   Sets like the King Coal and EBT have gone for up to $250, The High on the C&S has been as much as $175or so.  I would say the average for most of these sets is $90 to $110.  It all depends on the circumstances and the timing. 

All but the King Coal set had the older less reliable chasis.  The King coal set has the latest version 5 chassis.

heliboy

I just saw the C&S 90092 go for $375 and woundered if it was worth it

thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Wow! that is a new record for that set I guess I missed seeing it.  That set usually goes for a lot less.  The seller must be very happy,  there must have been some kind of bidding war!   These thing often happen around christmas when a lot of inexperienced bidders are in the market.  When I sell, which is not often I only sell during Nov, Dec & Jan which seem to be the best months sell.   I sold a Bachmann ATSF bobber caboose on Ebay for $77.50.  It was a bidding war.  They usually sell for from $5 to 10.  It was a great christmas for me. 

Merry railroading!!!