EZ Track Geometry - for parallel lines and yards

Started by sverigesson, September 07, 2008, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sverigesson

Hello EZ Trackers!  I'm new to EZ Track so I would appreciate some advice.

What is the center to center gap between the parallel straights on the EZ Track left and right crossovers?  Which parallel (concentric) curves would match up to that gap?   I run longer equipment so 18 inch radius is out.  22 inch radius is the absolute tightest I can go and larger, 26 and 28, are better.
Also, what would be the center to center gap between parallel lines if two #5 or #6 turnouts were used?  Is there a book or publication that would have all this information?
Thanks for the help.
Mark

Joe Satnik

Dear sverigesson,

#6 crossover gap: 2-3/8"

Closest curve pair: 33-1/4"R and 35-1/2"R (= 2-1/4" difference)

#5 turnout pair gap: guess 4" (measuring products section picture)

closest curve pair: 22"R and 26"R

#6 turnout pair:  guess 4" (measuring products section picture)

again, 22"R and 26"R

The latest EZ-Track book (see home page) may have some dimensions.  Terry T. would know more.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Hey Joe,
How's the "dandruff"  LOL  Glad you had the information Mark needed, and I pasted it to my digital log for reference.

This is the kind of information that Bachmann might consider adding to their book. It also would be nice to have templates for all their pieces.

Now if Bachmann would make a 90' EZ Track turntable and free the 2" straights......  :D

Thanks
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the kind words.  Glad someone reads my posts.  (Some get long winded.)

SWMBO has not yet given me a bottle of Selsun Blue, guess I'll have to think harder.

The info should also be in the FAQ section, or put in the product description.   

A template sounds like a good idea, though to me, the dimensions are more important.  (Dimensions printed on the template?)

As far as getting the critical dimensions of EZ-Track pieces:

1. Find a LHS with a good assortment of EZ-Track, and an owner kind enough to let you measure them without buying.

2. Purchase them and measure them.

3. Purchase CAD software, such as RR-Track.com, which has the Bachmann HO EZ-Track library.  I'd guess that they also purchase and measure the new pieces as they become available.  There is some delay for library updates.

I'm not sure why Bachmann keeps those critical dimensions close to their chest.  Drawings had to be made for the molds, so they surely are known....

A turntable sounds nice, though in these days of "gotta have a Big Boy" I'd guess they'd build a bigger one than 90'.  Having highly reliable indexing would be the most important to me.

And, yes, FT2"S !!

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

I thoroughly read every post.  I figure if someone takes the time to give information, I can take time to read it.

sverigesson

Thanks Joe for the input.  Sounds like 22R and 26R will work with the #6 turnouts.  Calling my LHS today.
I agree, it would be helpful if Bachmann put basic geometry on the packaging if not publishing a book on it.  Kato N-track (maybe HO?), on the packages, and Marklin AC 3 rail HO (all 3 tracks, M, K and C), in their yearly catalogs, have extensive geometry notes.  And thanks for the tip on where to find 2 inch straights!
Mark

sverigesson

Correction!  Good thing I'm not a civil engineer!
The #5 turnouts with the 22R and 26R, right!
Now I savvy!
Mark

Jhanecker2

I agree about the lack of dimensions.  I was hoping the revised E-Z Track layout Manual would have the dimensions  and / or the planning diagrams the Atlas  Layout Book # 9  had .  It also had templates of their tracks & switches(turnouts) etc.  Hopefully there will be a Book 3 coming soon to address those issues.   

Yampa Bob

The problem of track geometry gets even more complex when you try to match up curves for the various turnout diverging angles.  Look at the NMRA list for frog angles and you see angles such as 14.25, 11.417, 9.533, 8.167, etc. so you either use short lengths of flex track, chop up EZ Track or "fudge" the closest standard piece to get the geometry you need.  Luckily a 1/2 degree fudge won't affect operations.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Factory Direct Trains has some nice pictures of the #5 and #6 turnouts that can be enlarged on their website.  I took a few measurements off my screen with a ruler.  Though these are better estimates than before, there can still be some inaccuracies.  You would need them in your hands to do a better measurement.   

Better guess (ruler on computer screen):

#5 pair double mainline spacing:  3-3/8"

#6 pair double mainline spacing:  4-1/8"

My apologies for being so far off with the earlier # 5 guess.  You can get closer to a 4" spacing by adding a 3" straight between the #5 pair.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

Terry Toenges

I haven't done any measurements with #5 or #6 turnouts.
I just used the standard turnouts and the 18" radius curves to kind of help out the newbies getting started with EZ Track.
Feel like a Mogul.