News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turn radius - HO

Started by RFP72, October 26, 2008, 07:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFP72

My layout has 22 inch radius curves. I want to get a nice loco for Xmas, but I am hesitant to purchase anything that requires larger radius curves.
I am looking at Bachmann Spectrum trains with DCC and Sound:
     USRA 2-10-2 #83802
     2-8-0 Consolidation #84503
     4-8-2 Heavy Mtn #84203
     2-6-6-2 #84803
     2-10-0 Russian decapod #84305
     4-6-0 #84904
     4-4-0 Richmond #85103
Any help is appreciated!

ajp3751

All of the locos you listed will run on 22' radius. The larger ones, (2-10-2, 4-8-2, 2-6-6-2) will rn fine but won't look as well as a 2-8-0 or 4-6-0. If you have 22" radius track, you probably don't have a lot of long straights to run long trains, so smaller ones will look better. I have a 2-8-0 and love it. Have fun with your new purchase.

SteamGene

What is the layout size?  And yes, wider is better, no question.  Even 32" curves gets a lot of swing off a Spectrum USRA light Mallet, though it's not as noticeable with the 4-8-2s.  In any event, a small layout really needs small power to look good.
The Spectrum 2-8-0 is always a safe bet.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

grumpy

I have all the locos in your list and all my curves are 18" . The best one is the 2-8-0.
Don

SteamGene

Pacific Northern,
The whole purpose of an articulated, is to get a big locomotive to go around a tight turn.  As far as the wheels are concerned, a 2-6-6-2 is made by bashing two Moguls back to back( 2-6-0 + 0-6-2).  Note the SP designation "AC" for "Articulated Consolidation" for its 2-8-8-X locos.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

A brief review from "The Mad Scientist".

I only have 4 Bachmann steam locomotives, but they are all Spectrum 2-8-0, perfect for my 18" curves.

I run one regularly, one is being bashed into a tank switcher, one stretched into a quasi-Mikado, and one still in the box for backup/parts scavenge. That's how I earned my nickname.  :D

I agree the "Connie" is a great little locomotive, reasonably priced so I don't mind taking a saw to one.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

RFP72

Thanks to all who responded with such great information.

My layout is 8ft wide x 14ft long, with a 4x8 hole in the middle.
I prefer N&W, Southern, RF&P, C&O or other SE railways.

Thanks again. Now I have to choose which to get!

Frisco

Those are all very nice locomotives. However the 2-10-2, 2-6-6-2, and        4-8-2  will look very bad going around 22" curves. The 2-10-2 will not run really good on these curves.

ajp3751

the spectrum 2-8-0 and 4-4-0 come is southern and look nice. I would buy them if i didn't already model another part of the country. Also (although not spectrum) there is a southern green 2-6-2 that is decent and a small engine. The light mountain was a nice loco, and was also is the southern paint, but only now to be found on ebay or swap meets. The N&W and the C&O had alot of larger motive power so they might be harder to model on 22" curves (possible but not beautiful). The c&o mountain, the n&w J class, and the southern santa fe class will run but may have more overhang than desired, but will still run. Remember as well the planned rolling stock for these engines as longer coaches are not good and super long freights aren't need on a small layout. Several short consists are what you should look for.

Joe Satnik

Dear RFP72,

You said:
"My layout is 8ft wide x 14ft long, with a 4x8 hole in the middle."

Sounds like an around the room layout, 2' wide on the long sides and 3' wide on the ends. 

Good choice.

Have you considered filling in the inside corners of your benchwork to follow the curves of your track?

The math in this previous post of mine may be helpful to you, though it is for making a full curved corner piece, not just an inside "fill" for an already existing 90 degree corner. 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,6808.0.html

Another option: Fashion triangular fills by cutting 12"x12" square pieces of plywood from one corner to the opposite corner.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Frisco

Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 28, 2008, 02:51:09 PM
Quote from: Frisco on October 27, 2008, 10:15:20 PM
Those are all very nice locomotives. However the 2-10-2, 2-6-6-2, and        4-8-2  will look very bad going around 22" curves. The 2-10-2 will not run really good on these curves.

Check the review by Model Railroader for this engine.  Engine runs fine on 18" curves, does not look that great but runs fine. Are you giving your opinion/guess or do you actually have a Spectrum 2-10-2?

No, I don't have it but do have this quote from the June 2006 Model Railroad News. "It simply couldn't get that long driveline around 18-inch curves, which didn't surprise me, 21 inches was too tight. At 24, the drivers got around but the pilot truck kept hopping off. I was patient, hoping it was a poor bit of track work, but it kept tossing the front truck off to the outside with a train; running light, it managed the deed. It also slowed down noticebly as it entered 24-inch curves,indicating some protest. At 27inch radius curves, it only slowed some."                                 If you ask me that means 27" is a good min radius.

grumpy

Frisco
I have all those locos and they all run fine on 18" curves .They may not look good to a rivet counter but they look good to me and it is my railroad.
Don

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Frisco on October 28, 2008, 08:15:53 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 28, 2008, 02:51:09 PM
Quote from: Frisco on October 27, 2008, 10:15:20 PM

Check the review by Model Railroader for this engine.  Engine runs fine on 18" curves, does not look that great but runs fine. Are you giving your opinion/guess or do you actually have a Spectrum 2-10-2?

No, I don't have it but do have this quote from the June 2006 Model Railroad News. "It simply couldn't get that long driveline around 18-inch curves, which didn't surprise me, 21 inches was too tight. At 24, the drivers got around but the pilot truck kept hopping off. I was patient, hoping it was a poor bit of track work, but it kept tossing the front truck off to the outside with a train; running light, it managed the deed. It also slowed down noticebly as it entered 24-inch curves,indicating some protest. At 27inch radius curves, it only slowed some."                                 If you ask me that means 27" is a good min radius.

There definetely is a story associated with that particular review.......... would not even work on 24" radius.
Pacific Northern

Frisco

Well I trust them and I don't trust Model Railroader Reviews.

grumpy

Frisco
The no. of us who commented on the 2-10-2 being able to handle 18" curves should be enough to convince you. We all have the loco.
Don