News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ex-Preferred DCC Systems.

Started by Santa Fe buff, December 04, 2008, 06:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

My friend and I are thinking about DCC systems. What are your selected favorites? My friend likes the MRC Prodigy, and I was thinking Bachmann E-Z Command, or perhaps a Digitrax set? I'd like to hear your feedback. Thanks for any future suggestions. Due to the inapporite topic addressed by this thread, I've decided to revert it into a topic refraining to DCC Programing and sharing ideas in hope of learning more about the DCC world.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Atlantic Central

Josh,

The Bach Man is very gracious in allowing much discussion of other brands of product on here, but a head to head comparison of this type seems completely inappropriate since Bachmann is in the DCC system business and they pay for this board.

Sheldon

Santa Fe buff

I'll delete the topic if you'd like. Just post your answer. "yes" or "no".

Sorry, I guess I did forget about that... I'll post a different topic. By different, I mean asking information on general DCC programing and so forth.

I should of thought it through, I'll post it on another board, that isn't a train company board.  :P Bachmann is very gracious, this board is awesome, and has over 4,000 members! Who else can boast that? ;) Back on topic, I'll delete on a moment's notice at yours or someone else's discretion.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Before you even consider buying a DCC system, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of the following:

"The DCC Guide" by Don Fiehman, Kalmbach publication stock number 12417.  List price is $19.95, I bought mine from Caboose Hobbies for $15.75.

Chapter 5, "Selecting a System", lists 10 popular models by Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax, MRC, Lenz, and CVP, with comparison charts and lots of pictures. The edition does not include the Bachmann Dynamis Digital Command System which is a recent release, there may be a more recent edition than mine.

After you study the guide, find a local hobby shop that has a good selection of systems and make your own "hands on" comparison.  If you can find a club nearby, visit with the members, who will probably have a variety of systems in use. I do not recommend buying any system sight unseen.

A brief note at the start of Chapter Five: "You'll make the best decision about buying a Digital Command Control System if you first consider your needs.  Think about the size of your layout, number of operators, and the features that are important to you."

No need to delete the topic, as long as you realize it would be unfair to Bachmann, and actually to you as well, to make comparisons of all the brands on this board. I also feel the board should not be used as a "training medium" for non-Bachmann products.  Whatever you buy, read and understand the manual. By the way, you can download many of the actual instruction manuals from Bachmann and other sites.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Atlantic Central

Josh,

Deleting is up to you or the Bach Man, but as long as you understand the unfair nature of such a discussion on here all if fine in my view.

Sheldon

RAM

Let me just say this.  If you are new to dcc and your need are small.  then the E-Z Command is a good system for you.  

Atlantic Central

And,

You may want to consider if you really need or want DCC. A good understanding of other types of control systems and wiring methods may be a good thing to learn about before you spend money on DCC.

With any medium size or larger DCC system there will still be a fair amount of layout wiring to do. Its not just two wires and away you go!

How large is your layout, how many of your locos already have decoders, or don't have them, how you want to operate your layout, etc, are all factors in choosing the best control system.

for more on this, read my post about Radio control for HO.

Sheldon

Santa Fe buff

Well, seeing this topic is taking off a bit, I'll revert this into a discussion about the DCC programing, and it's properties. I'm leaving the words and phrases still there, just crossed out, so new-comers to this topic won't be lost by early posts.

Yampa Bob,
I'll have to save up a bit for that magazine. Christmas is around the bend, and I'll have to wait until it passes to start getting some money again. Lucky for me, I got December 2008's edition of Model Railroader, my first up-to-date issue that isn't from the '50s or '60s. Lucky for me, it came with the extra bonus mini-mag Starting Your Model Layout from The World's Greatest Hobby. It has a huge amount of information, and I've already read it word-by-word, cover to cover. It was a very good read, I recommend it even for older modelers with shelf layouts perfected. Ironic that the copy of Model Railroader would have an article about DCC Programing, I haven't got the time lately to read it, but it'll give me more information then that mini-mag. I've applied for this starter's guide too from Model Railroader, but it has yet to come. I know they got it, for I'm receive e-mail newsletters now, and I applied for e-mail newsletter through the order form.

Atlantic Central & RAM,
The E-Z Command seems so perfect for me, that I've decided to delay my ATSF GE Dash-9-44CW until I earn the money for the train set "Digital Commander", which features this famous debut system of Bachmann's entry into the wonderful world of DCC and two ATSF locomotives with, (What I believe <correct me if I'm wrong>), decoders installed. It's seem ironic that they are ATSF locomotives that work fine with my layout plans. I did say "Debut", only for, the newer greater E-Z Command Dynamis is out. But I don't need it, I'd rather start simple. After all, this is only a 4x8 layout. I don't need all that memory for me. Also, yes, I'll review your posts. I want to be very educated on this topic before I even get my layout. Better to be ready. The local hobby super-store, "Hobby Lobby" has an incredible percentage of Bachmann products, including several copies of my wanted set. Unfortunately, due to the price, I won't have it on my Christmas wish-list. Well, better earned yourself anyway- makes you feel better about it.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

As I mentioned above, I think any "discussion about DCC programming" as a step by step procedure would be beyond the scope of the forum, you need to learn by reading and understanding the manual and practicing.  If you get stuck and something doesn't work right, then there are members here to help.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

Yampa Bob,
I see your point clearly. Practice makes perfect, and reading does give more information then asking.

Where can I get a decoder for a Bachmann Spectrum F40PH?

But the topic seems to be at a stand still until I can get a better understanding. Although it will be time until I do get my first DCC System, and hopefully it will be a Bachmann E-Z Command. Thank you all for posting, and Yampa Bob, you've make an incredible point. I'm currently logging off until tomorrow, and I'm going to read that article in that Model Railroader magazine. It explains the use of CVs and so forth.

-----
I'm going to look at Wiki DCC discussion, I'm a member of Wikipedia, even though being member doesn't really matter. It does have it's benefits in man's constant quest to gain knowledge.  ;)

Perhaps a DCC Discussion should be a better title then DCC Programing Discussion. Yampa Bob just cleared up the difference in what to discuss.

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 04, 2008, 08:43:35 PM
As I mentioned above, I think any "discussion about DCC programming" as a step by step procedure would be beyond the scope of the forum, you need to learn by reading and understanding the manual and practicing.  If you get stuck and something doesn't work right, then there are members here to help.
Sorry, I felt this needed a quote, and I was doing so well too at this quoting thing! ;)

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

the Bach-man

Dear Josh,
EZ Command is an excellent beginner system with ten addresses.
Dynamis is an excellent mid- priced system that is wireless.
Lenz, MRC and Digitraxx make excellent mid- priced systems that work great.
They, and NCE, make excellent high-end systems.
Which you choose depends on your budget and personal preference.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

mattallen37

I have that set and am very happy with it.

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on December 04, 2008, 08:31:40 PM
"Hobby Lobby" has an incredible percentage of Bachmann products, including several copies of my wanted set. Unfortunately, due to the price, I won't have it on my Christmas wish-list. Well, better earned yourself anyway- makes you feel better about it.

Josh

one more thing, I too bought mine at hobby lobby. Sign up for hobby lobby email ads, and about every other week there is a cupon that you can bring to the store to get ANY one item 40% off!!!!!! so if the set is regularly $200(plus tax), you can get it for $120 (plus tax)!!!!!!!!

Matt

Santa Fe buff

mattallen37,
Whoa, I'm WAY ahead of you! As soon as we got one, I signed up and I already have my 40% off coupon printed out. That was about 5-6 weeks ago. Too bad the coupon is for 40% off on only REGULAR priced items, and they're have a sale on Train-sets for 30% off. I lose a good 10%. At least I won't buy it until the sale is over, because, (As posted previously.), finical troubles steer me away from the train-set until after the holidays; when I can start earning my own money again. (Allowances/Extra chore money has been cut out until after December.) Thanks for posting that, now I have proof that I should get it. Also, it gives me something to fall back on when I'm seriously questioned on what and why I'm buying this. After all, you don't just let anyone just blow about $200.00, but it's more likely that I won't get questioned. My money, my buying. (Just nothing bad... ;)) But I don't think trains are bad. But that $120.00 new prices makes me drool. *zap* Ow, that was my keyboard. *zap* No, wait; *zap*;yeah, it was my keyboard. :D

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Running Bear

The EZ-Command is a good system for a beginner in DCC who isn't interested in programming CV addresses or running a lot of trains at once. I used one for two years before stepping up to a Digitrax Zephyr.
Running Bear

Santa Fe buff

Sorry about the major bump. I'd rather post in older topics then posting even more topics...

I have a question to ask.
Do you need a programing track for programing decoders for the E-Z Command?

Thanks ahead of time for answers.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer