HELP I have Bachmann track but the connectors

Started by rtraincollector, December 20, 2008, 09:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtraincollector

Are on different sides what gives tried to take apart and basically ruin track does Bachmann offer a conversion piece or something. And when did they do this?

Joe Satnik

Dear rtc,

Are you talking about Large Scale - Big Hauler "G" track?  What scale/brand/style of track are you trying to connect to?

Bachmann Metal G track came out about 1990. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rtraincollector

Joe I'm going to try and insert a pic this is both Bachmann G scale ( large scale) track the one on the right is the original track I have and the straight pieces are only 10.25 inches long where the new track (came with Pennsylavian set are 12" long and the pins are on opposite sides

The new piece has like a blackened connector pin where the old piece the pin is silver in color like the rest of the track

Joe Satnik

RTC,

Thanks for the pics...worth a thousand words.

My guess is old Lionel, New Bright, or another lesser known brand. 

Anyone else have a guess as to the manufacturer of the old track?

How many old pieces, and of what type (straight, curve, turnout, etc.) do you own?

Hollow steel track, no matter what manufacturer, rusts, therefore cannot be used outside.

Bachmann's G track follows LGB's convention of rail connector on the left (as shown in your picture).  Your old track is the opposite of that.  You must remove the black pin from the Bachmann G track to mate with solid rail track, such as LGB or Aristo-Craft.

You really only have 2 choices:
1. Use your old track for a separate layout or static dislpay.
2. Fashion your own adapter(s). 

Bachmann G track Blade (pin) removal:

Turn the Bachmann track over, and look for the bent up tabs cut from the rails near the center tie.  Gently bend the tabs up to match the profile of the rail, then slide the rail away from the blade.  When the rail clears the blade, lift the blade out. 

Save the blade for future use.  (I store mine under the tie, with a piece of black electrical tape wrapped around the tie.)

Slide the rail back and gently bend the rail tabs to hold it in place. 

You will need some other method to hold the track sections together, as the Bachmann plastic clips will not work with other brands .  I have used 2 rubber bands per joint wrapped around the end ties, though there is probably a more elegant way to do it. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,   

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

JerryB

RTC:
Like Joe, I'm almost certain the track shown on the right is not Bachmann. Most manufacturers mold their name or part numbers on the bottom of the ties. Have you looked there?

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

rtraincollector

I bought this from a deler on Ebay back about a year ago and never gave it a second thought as he stated Bachmann G gauge track With transformer and terminal bar. I'm starting to think like you its not Bachmann but maybe new bright for there electric sets. No name or anything on the under side but the bachmann one (the 12" piece) stated Bachmann china I have to amit but didn't want to that when I measured the 2 as saw they were 2 different legnths that the first track ( track on the right shorter) that maybe this wasn't all Bachmann as I thought. Well this answers this question I have enough of the junk for a oval of track .

Well al I really wanted was enough to make a shelf layout in my train room as I'm basicly into O gauge trains I collect Lionel. I also have one train set in Standard gauge set from 1931 which is about the size of G except it runs on 3 rails like all good trains should  ;) So now I can safely bid on Bachmann straight track for my layout and know what I need to get and ask questions befor bidding to make sure I get the correct track lol.

By the way I believe lionel track was brass but the same shape of the Bachmann thats why I think New Bright

Joe Satnik

RTC,

Contact me off-line about your track. 

joebarbATwwtDOTnet

Joe