News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout Problems

Started by boxman, February 06, 2009, 09:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxman

I have 3 right hand turnouts. One is powered and two I switch manual. When my engines run through the non powered turnouts they get hung up. Sometimes coming and sometimes going. The little piece of track that switches seems to move a little when they go by. I have the manual swich pushed all the way over but they don't seem to lock. My powered switch has no problems. Any ideas. Thanks...Boxman

James in FL

Just for kicks and grins, try to power your other turnouts and see if you still have a problem with them.
After doing that, if you still are having problems, report back and I will send you a picture with instructions detailing how to set the spring tension internally.

boxman

Thanks James, could you send the instructions I was going to buy another brand of turnout because it is so frustrating. I would like to try adjusting the spring first. Thank you...Boxman

boxman

Well I powered them up and tightened the top screw They are working fine know...Boxman

James in FL

Glad it was such a quick easy fix.
In my last post I suggested powering the turnouts you are manually activating.
This would have shown you that when utilizing the power selector box, the power activated coils will hold the points in place against the rails.

To try this, while using live AC power to your switch boxes, remove the loco from the tracks, and attempt to move the points to the opposite direction with light finger pressure. You will find the points spring back to the proper position.
Switch points perform better with a bit of filing, to sharpen, to get them to lay as tight as possible against the rail.

As an aside, I have bought a new B'mann turnout where the pinion gear was assembled "one tooth off" to being correct. This causes excessive pressure against one rail while putting less then adequate pressure against the other rail.
If the points are not solidly contacting either rail, in the desired position, you need to check first the position of the pinion gear in relationship to the selector rack gear, and second the spring coming straight (parallel) out of the spring holder.
I am glad you have a quick fix, as my picture posting skills to this site seem to be severely limited.

Bachmann does NOT use consistent wiring methods, or consistent color coding in their products.
If you open the turnout up, pay strict attention to this, least you will have a short.

Good Luck