HO Shay Parts - Center Truck Assemblies Out of Stock?

Started by mkbradley, April 04, 2009, 12:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkbradley

My two Bachmann HO Shays are suffering from slipping gears on the sideshafts.  Some of the gears on the sideshaft are sliding out of place when pulling loads on steep grades, resulting in one or more axles dragging instead of turning. You can slide them back, but they work lose again.

Now, I thought I found the solution ... Bachmann sells replacement truck assemblies (front, center, and rear).  You just order what you need and in a few days they arrive and you just pop out the bad truck and put in the new one, hooking back up the drive train ... an easy 1 screw job.

I did find that some of the replacement trucks may have small burrs or something, causing them to bind a bit ... but otherwise things seemed OK.

However, I now see that Bachmann only has the front and year truck assemblies in stock.  They are out of stock on the center truck assemblies and those are the ones that seem to fail the most often.  Are other having this problem and does anyone know if Bachmann is going to get these items back in stock?

Thanks,

Marty

Pacific Northern

Read this post on the other site (Model Railroader) and was surprised to see the number of replies.  As I have some of these engines I too am concerned that should the gear assemblies fail that Bachmann would be unable to replace or fix these engines.

One of the replies received included information that NWSL was indeed working on the possibility of producing gear replacements for the Bachmann Shay.

I would advise owners of the Shay to contact NWSL to demonstrate their support of producing these replacement gear assemblies.

http://www.nwsl.com/

Pacific Northern

mkbradley

As suggested by some of the other posters on trains.com I've tried dabbing the superglue on the shaft and slipping the gear back in position.  I've done it before as well.  Past experience has shown that this may work for a while ... a few minutes or a few weeks ... hard to tell.

NWSL should be able to figure out that this is a huge potential market ... those Bachmann Shays are everywhere ...

mkbradley

What I am looking for from the Bach Man is any word as to whether there will be any more spare parts in stock - specifically the middle truck assembly.

Thanks,
Marty

the Bach-man

Dear Marty,
I would assume so. As long as the Shay is in production we should receive parts.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Lumber27

I am beginning to wonder if this problem is a defect in the material used to manufacture the gears.  After spending 15.00 per truck, would the problem be resolved or would it lead to having to buy more trucks later on?  I have two shays with the same problem, all trucks have failed with the same problem you outlined above. 

Lumber27

Lets not give up hope, I know Bachmann will stand behind there products by providing replacement trucks to people who purchased shays.  Goo customer service will decrease negative publicity on web forums and ensure continual purchases by modelers.   :)

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I am told that we are indeed out of middle trucks, and are awaiting more. When they arrive, I'll let you all know.
Thanks!
the Bach-man