STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 11:49:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  On30
| | |-+  Sound Decoders Available?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sound Decoders Available?  (Read 1824 times)
Allamuchy Joe

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009, 01:00:40 PM »

I recently have discovered the joy of sound in On30 locomotives. I have purchased the MRC Blackbox, which allows me to hear sound in my locomotives (The only sound loco I have is the PSM Goose).

I currently have tons of Bachmann On30 locomotives that are painted and weathered. I want to upgrade some of those to sound (not all). Does Bachmann sell the plug and play Tsunami decoders for their On30 locomotives? If it can be helped, I was trying to avoid having to solder connectors on the decoders in order to get sound in the locos.

I see that the Pacific Coast Air Line Railway website mentions that he got a decoder from an HO Bachmann 2-8-0. Are those sold separately through Bachmann?

Thanks,
Joe
Tomcat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »

Hi there Joe,

as far as I know Bachmann does not sell the Sound Decoders separately. You can get them from Blackstone/Soundtraxx and there is some kind of harness you could use on them to connect to the 8pin plug.

Thereīs another way. Get a ESU Decoder - Loksound theyīre called. The ESU people got a solid mass of various sounds. Try this link:

http://www.esu.eu/download/geraeuschdateien/generation-3/loksound-v35/us-sounds/

The ESU decoders already have the 8-pin connector, which means you only would have to plug it in and place the speaker into the casting already provided from Bachmann. Itīs really easy, and its fun!

Just in the case you stumble over a German word you canīt understand, please let me know, Iīm here to help.

Kind regards, Tom Smiley Smiley Smiley
Chris G

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:05 AM »

Hey Tom,
I am trying to figure out which Loksound decoders sound best for the 0-4-2 Porter and 2-4-4 Forney.
Any advice will help. I want to stick with Loksound if possible.

thanks,
 :)Chris
renniks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

Chris,

Suggest that you try the Loksound  0-6-0 and/or 4-4-0.

Joe,

The 2-6-0 does not have an 8 pin socket so must be 'hardwired'.

Eric UK
Allamuchy Joe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »

Chris,

Suggest that you try the Loksound  0-6-0 and/or 4-4-0.

Joe,

The 2-6-0 does not have an 8 pin socket so must be 'hardwired'.

Eric UK

I actually wanted to add sound to the outside frame 4-4-0 and possibly my 2-8-0.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Joe
Tomcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »

Chris,

sorry for my delay, I have been off yesterday.
Have checked this too: The Loksound 82458 or 82461 should match halfway, but be aware, the 0-4-2 Porter means a certain lot of work. A friend of mine has done the conversion with a US-made MRC Sheer Brilliance - which sounds not too bad, though.
Have used them on a 2-6-6-2 Mantua COnversion to On30-they sound not bad...

But the ESU decoders may have much more possibilities-if you go for a N-Scale Decoder which should cover the 0-4-2 Porterīs current, it should be possible to tuck away all the electronics and the Speaker inside the cab (Electronics if you build a little kind of box) and the speaker underneath the cab roof. Be aware-DCC in a Porter means a bit more work... Wink

The Forney, this is a straightforward job-more or less, drop in and plug in+have fun...

The Tsunamis Bachmann uses on the forneys are slightly a bit smaller than the usual ones. Did the conversion with the after marked Tsunami once and had to build a little black cardboard box to hide the purple-colored Tsunami from sight...

Kind regards, Tom Smiley Smiley Smiley
Chris G

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »

Smiley
Thanks for the advice

Chris
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: