2-8-0 disasembley and lubrication, How is it done?

Started by jpgmax, June 30, 2009, 11:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgmax

Hi,

I have a Bachman HO 2-8-0 Sante Fe DCC on board, which has suddenly started to get noisy, it's about a year old and probably needs lubricating.  Any advice on disassembley would be appreciated.  Thanks,  John.

Yampa Bob

Hi John,
Complete disassembly is usually not required, in fact not recommended unless you are skilled at working on precision assemblies.

However, removing the shell will give you a little better access to the drive system.

First, remove the drawbar screw.  Up front, carefully pull out the pilot brace pins that fit into the boiler sides, just enough to clear the shell. The pins are directly under the walkway. Lift up the shell at rear until it clears the chassis, then slide shell forward to disengage it from the front chassis flange.

On the bottom of the chassis are 4 screws. You should not remove the two smaller ones, as they fasten on the delicate pickup assembly and cover plate.  You can remove the two larger screws and the entire drive assembly will come off, allowing access to the worm gear.  The front screw also secures the piston assembly and pilot, so be sure to watch for loose parts and how they are assembled.

Use only plastic compatible oil, such as LaBelle 108, very sparingly, with a bit of suitable grease on the worm gear.  I use a plastic compatible grease with TFE (teflon), purchased from the local John Deere dealership, but your LHS has similar grease.

TIP: After I lubricate a 2-8-0, I temporarily secure the drawbar with a bolt and nut, so I can run the loco without the shell for a bit.

Others may add additional comments about lubricants that are suitable, and those that are not.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jpgmax

Hi Yampa Bob,

Thanks for the information and at such an early hour for you, much appreciated.  I was able to put your instructions to good use as soon as I got your message.  Problem fixed, loco running smooth and quiet again. 

Thanks, again, John.

Yampa Bob

You're welcome John.

Congratulations on getting your Connie running smooth again, that kind of good news is worth staying up for.   8)

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jsmvmd

What are you cowboys doing up so late ?  Must be singing to the dogies !

Best Wishes,

Jack

jpgmax

Hi Jack and Bob,

Bob was very kind in helping me out of a spot, it was mid afternoon for me down under, but you guys should get some sleep.

Thanks Bob and Jack, John.