News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Consolidation modifications

Started by vroc3349, July 30, 2009, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vroc3349

Just purchased this loco, my 5th in the collection, and want to change the stack and piping.
The stack is easy but I am not sure about the piping supplied.  It's obvious to me that the pipe that went around the baloon stack has to go and the supplied pipe seems to fit around the boiler and up to the top of the new stack.
Is this where the new piping goes?
How much of the old piping must be removed?
Where is the new piping installed?
Where do I find information on doing this modification?
Why are these instructions not provided with the model??

All help appreciated

Vroc3349

jestor

Welcome to the forum. As far I know that pipe appears to be the steam generator exhaust. When I purchased my first Consolidation, it didn't have another pipe that I could find. My second one is still in the box, so I have not seen the piping you refer to.  At any rate, any replacement should still come out of the top of the steam generator. You can simply pull the old one out and press the replacement in the same hole. It should stick straight up, with most having a slight bend at the top. I made one out of wire.

vroc3349

Thanks for the reply
The new pipe I have is formed and long enough to go from the stack back into the cab.  It may not go to the stack at all but your response helps.

Thanks again

vroc3349

jestor

Just opened the other box to see what is in the "extras" packages. In the package with the straight stack, there were two pipes. The short metal wire piece is the one I referred to earlier that goes in the top of the steam generator when you change the stack. I'm not sure about the long plastic pipe.

Steve Magee

The long pipe is the conduit for electrical feed to a light attached to the stack. The purpose of this was so that the engineer/fireman could check how she was burning at night. There is a hole on the straight stack for it, but for some reason the hole is 90 degrees out of kilter when installed properly. The mounting lugs have to be removed for the stack to be mounted so it mates up to the pipe. The other end of the pipe goes into the cab.

vroc3349

Well, between the two of you, we've covered it.  Great forum and thanks for the info.

vroc3349