News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Has anyone else noticed this?

Started by PRRNut, April 06, 2007, 06:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRNut

Has anyone also noticed that HO model train manufacturs rarely produce modern-era (1980s+) equipment? I was planning on building a NJ Transit HO Layout with a time period from 2003-2005, but unfortuately, I had to scrape it as there weren't enough commercially available equipment available (Comets, Arrows, ALP-46s, rebuilt GP40s...).

SteamGene

I wonder they produce anything modern considering the size of the normal layout and the size of modern cars and locomotives.   Even with the size of the layout I'm building, I wonder what it would look like set in the modern era. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

PRRnut,

I don't know anything about NJ transit, but from what I see in the Atlas and Athearn lines, just to name two, there is lots of post 1980 equipment. I know several modelers who model present day and they have no problem. Lots of modern diesels (I don't keep up with all the new ones), double stack container flats, bomardier bi-levels, articulated auto racks, 89' piggy back cars, etc, etc.

I don't own a piece of Kato because it is all newer than my era, 1954. Wathers made some modern passenger cars not long ago, Bachmann makes the Accela and other modern stuff.

Nobody makes a Western Maryland 4-6-2, but I'm not complaining that they don't make any steam locos just because they don't make the ONE I happen to want.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Sheldon;

Remember Bill Schopp??...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Gene P.

Right now I've got an AEM-7, an HHP-8 and the Acela in operation on my layout. All post '80.
Bachmann makes an F40 in NJ transit. My guess would be that NJT is too specific for a manufacturer to mass produce their roadname. Perhaps you should buy some equipment and have them painted(or paint yourself)?
Good luck!
Twin Forks R.R.

Nigel

Atlas offered thier U33/36C in NJT - long OOP, but look on ebay and at shows.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Craig

Sheldon,

You wrote "I don't own a piece of Kato because it is all newer than my era, 1954." Are you saying that you don't own any Kato passenger equipment? I ask because Kato has produced a number of diesels for your era.

Craig

Atlantic Central

Craig,

Yes, Kato has produced a few diesels in my era, but those are all diesels also produced by other companies. Kato makes great quality products, but the fact is they are primarily an N scale company, they focus on modern more than my period and they are expensive. For these reasons it is not a product line I support.

I would rather my money support Bachmann, Life Like, and Athearn who make a large number of items in my scale and for my era.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Craig,

In fact, Kato currently only lists 4 items in HO in my era. They are the RS2, RSC2, NW2 and the business car.

I am very happy with my Athearn and Proto RS units and have no need in my roster for those other items.

Sheldon