bachmann G scale big hauler columbia item #91101 that has broken a gear on the d

Started by gprice, July 28, 2009, 04:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gprice

I have a bachmann G scale big hauler columbia item #91101 that has broken a gear on the driver wheel .

Could anyone please help me with information about where i can find a replacement gear or driver wheel assembly?

I live in Australia

ANY help greatly appreciated

Bachmann has suggested contacting service but this item is no longer made.

regards
GP

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

gprice

Thank you Bill I have emailed Barry hopefully he can help. I would dearly love to get this loco moving as I have never run it the gear split on the first run.
GP

Barry BBT

GP,

Had to do a little research, the last time that loco was produce was in the 1993 catalog.  The Porter and 2-4-2 drives were very similar in those days.
I have replicated the drive axle with an aftermarket gear cross-drilled and pinned to replace the original.  If you have sent me an email to my mailbox, I will provide a picture for you.  But as a final check, how many teeth are on the axle gear?  Answer me in either location, or both.

Barry - BBT 
There are no dumb questions.

gprice

Barry,
I have seen  the pictures and the gears look similar but the teeth are central to the assenbly not offset.
There are 16 teeth on my broken gear.
Graeme

Barry BBT

Graeme,

I believe it is a later version or at least something different from what I was thinking.  I have some 16 tooth gears which I can mount on a Bachmann axle.  It would have a brass hub and set screw, but would cost a bit more; i.e., $15.00, postage the same $10.00.  Please advise.

Barry - BBT

gprice

Barry,
Could I just post the wheel assembly over to you?

I dont know how to get the wheel off the axle so that I can fit a new gear.

Do I have this option?

Barry BBT

Getting the gear off is not the problem.  Quartering the drivers on the axle is the challenge.

Send me the wheels and the gear on the axle, I will return everything for you to drop into the chassis.

Barry's Big Trains
6822 W. Villa St.
Phoenix, AZ 85043

Barry - BBT

gprice

Thanks Barry,

I will arrange to post it over to you on Monday.

Is the price still $15US + $10US postage?

How do I pay for it?

Will you send me an invoice that I can pay via credit card?

Graeme

Barry BBT

Graeme,

I can accept Visa, MC, and Discover.  Send your card info with the wheelset.

I will process the card here and send the receipt with the new merchandise.

I made up two of them today.

Barry - BBT

gprice

The assembly was posted airmail yesterday 3/08/09 so you should have it soon
GP

Barry BBT